Oakwood magazine open for all SDSU majors to participate and submit content

Katrina Sargent

Katrina Sargent

SDSU students who enjoy writing and art have an opportunity to submit their work for publication.

Oakwood is the literary and art magazine put out by SDSU students every year. According to Steven Binkley, an editor for Oakwood, the publication comes out once a year, generally at SDSU’s Great Plains Writers’ Conference in late April.

All students are welcome to submit work; it is not limited to English and art majors. Fiction, poetry, paintings, non-fiction, drawings, sculptures, essays and black and white or color photographs are accepted.

This year’s deadline for publication is Dec. 10. All submissions may be e-mailed to Binkley or dropped off at room 36 in Scobey Hall.

Oakwood began in 1976 when former SDSU student Doug Cockrell and English professor David Evans began a magazine called Calliope. The magazine originally included the work of students as well as writers from around the area, said the Oakwood page on the SDSU Web site. The art department eventually became involved, and graphic design students are now involved in making the magazine. It now focuses solely on the work of SDSU students.

“It is a great opportunity for students to have their work published and express themselves,” said Sara Deutscher, an English major and editor for Oakwood. “SDSU students can share their talent, and for those who wish to pursue a career as a writer, Oakwood is a great platform.” Deutscher also stressed that everyone, not just English majors, is encouraged to submit work.

“The number of literary submissions far exceeds submissions in art, perhaps because English students hear about the magazine in creative writing classes, while art students might not know the magazine exists; yet the art adds a great deal to the uniqueness of the magazine,” said Binkley.

A small group of English students helps with the editing process, and students from Randy Clark’s graphic design class design the layout and cover of the magazine, according to Binkley.

Tasha Overmyer, a senior English and Literature major submitted her work to the magazine last year. Overmyer said students should submit work to Oakwood because it looks good on a résumé.

As editors for Oakwood, Binkley and Deutscher collect submissions, decide which pieces to include, work with graphic design students and organize an appearance and reading of Oakwood at the spring writer’s conference, said Deutscher.

According to Binkley, there were around 100 submissions last year from students in a variety of majors. He also said they try to include as many submissions from as many authors as possible; some students have more than one submission published.

Copies of last year’s Oakwood are available to students for free in the English Department’s main office in Scobey Hall. Submissions and questions about Oakwood can be directed to Binkley at [email protected].