BSA ‘steps’ up to challenges facing african americans

Andrew Wilson

Andrew Wilson

Does the art of “Step” sound appealing to you? Step is a combination of military drills, contemporary jazz and hip-hop moves. The body takes the place of the drums as they slap various parts of their bodies and feet giving a complex rhythmic foundation. The show is free and everyone is encouraged to attend this cultural event.

“We are growing and getting a lot more recognition on campus,” said Vivian Obasi the Black Alliance president and junior biology major. “Anyone welcome to come to meetings and join step team is very much encouraged. We hope to work with more organizations and gain as much support as we can.”

Currently, approximately 25 students are in the group. Anyone interested in the cultural or political aspect of Africa is more then welcome to join. The mission of the Black Student Alliance is to spread cultural awareness throughout the SDSU Campus.

The Black Student Alliance will be co-sponsoring the Martin Luther King Challenge held on Jan. 21. This year the alliance is focusing more on educating the campus about the history of Africa along with their culture. They are also hosting the African Step Show on Feb. 9 at 7 p.m. in the Doner Auditorium. In April the Black Student Alliance will be co-sponsoring the Tunnel of Oppression with The Native American Club.

The Black Student Alliance has worked with bigger organizations such as Jacks for Life, Weekend Stuff!, and Office for Diversity and Enhancement as they are open to support many organizations.

“We have no limitations as to who we work with,” said Tanisha Sealy, The Black Student Alliance treasurer and senior clinical lab science major.

“I feel that the Black Student Alliance is a good way for students, faculty and staff to get involved with what the student organization has to offer,” said Jodi Wuttke, the academic coordinator for Upward Bound.

“This organization gives me a sense of belonging and dedication. For me it’s helpful to show that what we do is beneficial and informative, because people should know who we are and what we are about,” said Sealey. “As the treasurer of the Black Student Alliance it gives me a feeling of leadership for the black population and I am glad to have watched us grow over the last couple years.”

C. D. Douglas founded the SDSU Black Student Alliance and is the current Director of Multicultural Affairs and Trio Student Support Services Program.

The organization has been performing in various locations such as fall festivals and during the half time show of a Jacks Basketball game. The organization is willing to perform at just about any time, anywhere.

“Never be afraid to ask questions. No question is stupid at our age. If it is something you would like to know concerning the black community we would be happy to tell you,” said Tanisha.

To find out more about the Black Student Alliance or to join, see the Office of Multicultural Affairs or visit their Web site http://studentaffairs.sdstate.edu to register. The group meets every other week on Tuesdays at 6 p.m. in the Union.

#1.883032:1842222096.jpg:steppractice.jn.jpg:Members of Black Student Alliance practice some step moves.: