Macziewski crowned Mr. SDSU

Kara Gutormson

Kara Gutormson

On Feb. 23, the annual Mr. SDSU competition was held in Doner Auditorium. This year’s winner was Mathew Macziewski, and his charity was the Children’s Miracle Network.

Macziewski is a senior in the pharmacy program at SDSU and president of the Gamma Kappa Chapter of Kappa Psi, a pharmacy fraternity.

Second runner-up went to Tyler Fruechte, a freshman agricultural engineering major. First runner-up went to Tim Goldammer, a sophomore majoring in hotel and food service management. Other contestants were: Stuart Anderson, a senior majoring in Spanish and biology; Brian Diede, a sophomore pre-med major; and Brad Farrell, a freshman agronomy major.

This event, presented by the Residence Hall Association (RHA), started nine years ago to provide a fun competition that also supports charity. All the funds collected from the event go to the winner’s charity of choice. A panel of judges evaluated the contestants based on pre-interview questions, a lip sync performance, SDSU spirit demonstration, a formal wear competition and stage questions.

After being crowned, Macziewski said he was very happy to be chosen as Mr. SDSU and that the event raised so much money for charity. “This moment has got to be one of my greatest memories of being a Jackrabbit,” said Macziewski, who was also recognized as “Mr. Congeniality.”

Brady Mallory and Kyle Jameson were the emcees of Mr. SDSU 2008. The event started out with the lip sync competition. Macziewski performed “Milk and Cereal,” in which he brought a table of props, including: a gallon of milk, eight different kinds of cereal, a large bowl and spoon and two large muffins. Not only did he eat the cereal and milk, but he also threw the muffins into the audience. Next in line was Anderson, who danced to the techno hit “Call on Me” and gave the audience an up close and personal view of his moves. Fruechte followed, serenading the audience with Frank Sinatra’s rendition of “Love.” Goldammer performed the Big and Rich song “Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy.” He looked the part of a cowboy, and his act was all the more convincing when he tossed one hundred dollar bills to the audience.

Highlights of the spirit competition were Anderson’s baton twirling, Diede’s original SDSU poem and Macziewski’s comedy routine. The routine featured jokes such as, “If forty degrees means it’s t-shirt and shorts weather, then you might be a Jackrabbit,” and, “If your girlfriend likes to hunt more than you do, you might be a Jackrabbit.”

The formal wear segment of the competition was next. The panel of judges evaluated each contestant based on his style and presentation. The contestants described their charities for the audience, and then the emcees asked each contestant a couple of questions. The judges gave scores on a 1-10 scale, 1 being low and 10 being high.

The panel of judges included: Adam Karnopp, Mike Stickels, Misty Archer, Alex Brown and Kelsey Wuttke.