Different strategies, same goal for Greeks

Jodi Wethor

Jodi Wethor

Members of SDSU’s fraternities and sororities are encouraging students to “Go Greek” during this month’s recruitment events.

Men’s Greek recruitment lasts two weeks and each chapter enlists its own members, whereas women’s recruitment is one week long and all chapters recruit together. The men are recruiting from Sept. 8 through 26, and the women have a one-week event, Sept. 8 through 12.

Despite popular belief, Greek recruitment is not anything like the shows on television. According to the guidelines of the Panhellenic Council, the governing body for SDSU Greek Life, recruitment must remain low key. Chapters cannot throw parties or include alcohol in any event. Also, events cannot have decorations or party favors to sway the opinions of the pledges.

The ultimate goal of recruitment week is to get students to join the Greek system. For the women, that entails recruiting together, and though they are not as competitive as the men, each women’s chapter tries to stand out from the others in order to enroll the members they want.

“We encourage young women to Go Greek, and then they find out what chapter is the best fit for them,” said Nick Wendell, the interim adviser for the Greeks.

Theresa Dendinger, president of Alpha Xi Delta (AZD) and a senior human resource and family science major, said, “[Pledges] can choose the chapter that shares the same morals and ideas that they do and truly value what each chapter stands for.”

Overall, Greek Life is a great network that allows members to develop leadership skills, make a difference on campus, volunteer, do community service, plan and attend different events and be a part of a family, Dendinger said.

Wendell added that being in Greek Life also gives students exposure to the university administration, faculty and other students. Together, all these aspects of Greek Life help “make SDSU more than just a university that you attend, but a home for you,” Wendell said.

Throughout the year, Greek members stay active in their communities and school, whether it is by adopting a parking lot to keep clean or hosting dances for fundraisers.

“Greek Life is a great way to better yourself and get involved on campus and in the community,” Ben Wise, president of Delta Chi and an agricultural education major, said.

Despite the excitement of recruitment week, Greek members are facing challenges with the absence of an adviser. The adviser helps guide chapters in events and is often the voice of reason behind many projects. Wendell, who is also the assistant director for student activities, is currently filling the position.

“He’s doing a great job,” Dendinger said. “We appreciate everything he has done for the system.”

The absence of an adviser is not the only challenge the Greeks are facing.

“One of the biggest challenges of recruitment is convincing people to Go Greek despite the stereotypes,” Wise said. “We encourage everyone to attend at least one Greek event to check it out and see what Greek Life is really like.”

Though many of the women’s formal recruitment activities are finished, men’s recruitment still has several upcoming events. Here are some of each fraternity’s remaining recruiting events:

Delta Chi:Thurs., Sept. 11, 6:30-8 p.m. – International Food Night at the Delta Chi house (213 W. Hwy 14 Bypass)Mon., Sept. 15, 5:30-8 p.m. – Free pizza at Pizza RanchTues., Sept. 16, 7-8:30 p.m. – Leadership/Internship Presentation at the house

Farmhouse:Thurs., Sept. 11, 5 p.m. – Trap shoot and grill out. Meet at Farmhouse (729 20th Ave.)Mon., Sept. 15, 7 p.m. – Poker tournament with prizes at the houseThurs., Sept. 18, 6 p.m. – Supper and informational meeting at the house

Sigma Phi Epsilon:Thurs., Sept. 11, 5 p.m. – Game night in the Campanile Room in The UnionSat., Sept. 13, 3 p.m. – Grill out at the Sigma Phi Epsilon house (804 6th Ave.)Thurs., Sept. 18, 5-7 p.m. – Pizza and pop at the house

Sigma Phi Delta:Wed., Sept. 10, 7 p.m. – Flag football at the Sigma Phi Delta house (714 11th Ave.)Tues., Sept. 16, 7 p.m. – Design night at the houseThurs., Sept. 18, 7 p.m. – Grill out and informational session at the house

Alpha Gamma Rho:Wed., Sept. 10, 5 p.m. – Grill out and trap shooting. Meet at the Alpha Gamma Rho house (1929 E. 8th St.)Thurs., Sept. 11, 6 p.m. – Informational supper (French Dips and hash bake) at the house

Sigma Alpha Epsilon:Mon., Sept. 15, 6:30 p.m. – Texas Hold ‘Em Tournament in the Campanile Room in The UnionTues., Sept. 16, 6 p.m. – Free movie. Meet at the Cinema 5 theater.Wed., Sept. 17, 6:30 p.m. – Bonfire with yard games and volleyball at the Sigma Alpha Epsilon house (705 11th Ave.)