Using Facebook could open a legal can of worms

Tony Gorder

Tony Gorder

Author and attorney C.L. Lindsay, III, will speak on the legal and negative implications of social networking sites such as MySpace and Facebook Oct. 21 at Jack’s Place at 8 p.m.

The lecture is titled “Trouble Online: Campus Computing and the Law” and covers many aspects of the Internet like plagiarism, privacy, underage drinking photos and the effects of Facebook and MySpace, according to Bass/Shuler Entertainment.

“Students should come to hear C.L. Lindsay speak because he provides great information when it comes to having a Facebook or Myspace page,” said Monica Hanson, UPC lectures and forums coordinator and a junior consumer affairs major.

“He teaches students what they should and should not have on their Facebook or MySpace pages,” he said.

The lecture is free, and anyone may attend, especially those with a Facebook or MySpace account, said Hanson.

“At other schools, students have changed some of the things that they had posted on their pages because of what C.L. Lindsay taught them,” said Hanson.

The lecture is part of a series designed to educate and inform students of their academic rights and freedoms.

According to the Coalition for Student and Academic Rights’ official Web site, in 1998 Lindsay left his law practice to found the Coalition for Student and Academic Rights or CO-STAR, a students’ rights organization focusing on legal issues facing college students.

Lindsay is executive director of CO-STAR and is the author of The College Student’s Guide to the Law: Get a Grade Changed, Keep Your Stuff Private, Throw a Police-Free Party, and More!