Student athletes put on children’s Halloween event

Travis Kriens

Travis Kriens

The SDSU Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) will host its annual youth Halloween Penny Carnival on Oct. 26 at Frost Arena.

Children through sixth grade are invited to wear their Halloween costumes to the event, which will run from 2 to 4 p.m. on the Frost Arena track. Admission is $1 for adults. Punch cards for various games sponsored by Jackrabbit athletic teams and offers from local businesses will be available for an additional $1.

“I have always appreciated the extra time our student athletes take to get involved in community projects,” said Aaron Johnston, the head women’s basketball coach. “The community of Brookings has always been very supportive of our university, and it is great to see our student athletes acknowledge their support during events like the Penny Carnival.”

The SAAC takes an active role on the SDSU campus and in the Brookings community by enhancing the total student-athlete experience through protecting student-athlete welfare and fostering a positive student-athlete image.

Throughout the year, SAAC organizes many community service events, including: hosting the annual Halloween Penny Carnival with proceeds benefiting the local D.A.R.E. program, conducting food and clothing drives, tutoring students at local schools and participating in a campus-wide cleanup.

“Giving back to others has and remains an integral part of our expectations for athletic programs,” said Fred Oien, SDSU director of athletics.

“The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee sponsors several events annually in which all sports become involved. Each sport has their own projects they engage in throughout the school year, and we believe strongly that in return for the experience that is given to each student athlete, that it is important that student athletes provide service to others. It is part of our belief that these experiences help build Lifelong Champions.”