University Lutheran Center remodels popular study area, adding wireless internet, storage space

Melissa Fose

Melissa Fose

The University Lutheran Center at SDSU dedicated its newly remodeled building Oct. 5.

Over the summer, ULC updated the building to make it more accessible and useable. The project included an island for the kitchen, wireless Internet, more study room and storage space and handicap-accessible bathrooms.

“It is a lot warmer and more hospitable,” the Rev. Bob Chell said.

The remodeling was paid for by a few sources. The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) supported the remodeling project by providing $9,000. Alumni and friends donated approximately $13,000.

ULC needs to raise about $13,000 to pay the rest of the bill. At the ULC, the student offering of the first Sunday of each month will go towards the debt.

During the regular Sunday worship service, Chell blessed the updated center.

Following worship, attendees enjoyed a presentation and free meal catered by The Backyard Grill. Former campus pastor Galen Hora greeted the congregation. Afterwards, staff presented a video slideshow of the remodeling process.

Charee and Jim Housiaux were honored with a gift, as well. They oversaw the project and dedicated a lot of time and effort to the updates. Charee is a Lutheran Campus Council member.

ULC staff estimated that 100 people attended the regular Sunday service and about 94 people stayed for the meal and presentation.

“It was packed,” said Peer Minister of Service Keely Lawton, a junior health promotions major from Inwood, Iowa.

The building is often used as a meeting, class, study and visiting space.

“It is a good place to come and hang out,” said Lawton. “You can study here.”

The center is open for use from 8 a.m. until 10 p.m., Monday through Thursday.

“Lutheran campus ministry is a ministry to SDSU, not just Lutherans, but people with all faith backgrounds and no faith backgrounds,” said Chell. “We welcome anyone and everyone.”

Two worship services are held each week. Chell said that the Sunday service at 11 a.m. is fairly traditional and the Wednesday service at 9 p.m. is more contemporary.

ULC staff offer Bible studies, book discussions, monthly service projects, annual spring break trips and other activities. The remodeling will help support and expand ULC’s ministry and serve the community.

To learn more about the ULC, call (605) 692-4880 or e-mail [email protected].