Watch out, lot cruisers; parking overhaul possible

Amy Poppinga

Amy Poppinga

Battles for spots and conflicts with pedestrians have sparked proposed changes to SDSU’s parking system next year.

In the plan, all commuter lots will be numbered, and students and faculty will buy a tag for a specific lot. They will only be able to park in their lot and an all-class lot by The Wellness Center but would be guaranteed a spot because lots would not be oversold.

Visitors will have one distinct lot on campus, while remote lots will be located in the north half of the Coughlin-Alumni Stadium lot, east of the Performing Arts Center and north of the Animal Science Arena. Those remote lots would cost $8 per month versus the $25 per 9 months that they cost this past year.

“With this [new] system, people will always know where to go to park,” said Tim Goldammer, a Students’ Association senator and a hotel and foodservice management major.

Mike Reger, vice president for administration, said the new plan was created to make SDSU more pedestrian friendly and to prevent students from speeding through parking lots to find spots.

“It reduces the amount of cars that go through the core of campus,” he said. “It will reduce the amount of hunting (for parking spots)”.

Commuter spots will cost $12 per month. Those who choose to buy a 12-month decal will pay $144, while a 9-month decal will cost $108. This past August, 9-month commuter decals cost $80.

Though it will cost more, students and faculty may choose to pay a 12-month pass if they want to park in high-demand lots. For example, those who want to park in The Union or NFA parking lots will most likely have to buy a year pass, said Goldammer.

“Students who want a certain spot will have to pay the full 12-month price.”

Lisa Koch, a sophomore advertising major, is not sure she likes that system.

“If they’re trying to get more money, they’re doing it the right way,” she said.

Mike Anderson, a junior agricultural business major, agreed. “It’s not fair that you’d have to pay for the entire year. I like it the way it is now.”

This year, everyone can buy decals online. Depending on when that new system is ready, those who already have reserved parking will get first choice of lots from May 1 to 15.

Afterwards, other students and faculty can buy space in a lot. If the buying system is not ready by May, the decals will go on sale in August.

Another change is that parking decals would stay with students throughout their time at SDSU. They would receive a new sticker each year to place on their decal to indicate the year and the lot they purchased.

Though Reger said the changes would move SDSU closer to its goal of being a walking campus, he said there are still some flaws in the proposed system.

For example, The Union lot will be full at 8 a.m. but might be empty by 2:30 p.m., which could frustrate students who will have to park farther away at that time.

“There will be a public relations problem at first. ? It will take a while for people to adjust,” Reger said.

Visitor parking could also pose problems. When there are large events on campus, such as on game nights, the visitor parking lot will not be able to hold them. Reger said administrators are looking for solutions to the game-day problems, and in some other instances, the visitors will probably park in a remote lot and then be shuttled to the interior of campus.

Right now, the plan has passed the Parking and Traffic Committee, but the plan can still be tweaked. Reger said the administration will hold forums and meet with campus governing groups like the Students’ Association and Academic Senate.

After talking with different groups, administrators plan to reexamine the proposal. Reger will make the final decision on implementing the plan.

#1.881902:2258009525.jpg:parking1.jpg:Parking lots across campus fill rapidly, like this one here in front of Waneta Hall. The administration is proposing changes to parking so that students will know exactly where they can park.:Robby Gallagher