Seniors showcase graphic design pieces

Laura Lucas

Laura Lucas

Over a seven-week span, one fine arts major, one art education major and 17 graphic design majors will present their senior exhibition shows.

Each week, three to four senior students will present their work in the Ritz Gallery.

Norman Gambill, head of the department of visual arts, said one reason students do the senior showings is because it is a part of the required class Art-400 the Senior Review. Another reason is to display what the students have learned during their time here.

“In the last 25 years, South Dakota has become more competitive with visual literacy,” said Gambill. “It is practical for college students to be visually informed.”

Gambill said he has noticed better posters and business ads in the graphic design area.

“Fifty to 60 percent of the students who are in visual communication are working in town,” he said.

Gambill said visual communication is a part of the economic infrastructure. It is important because people do not want to buy something that does not look good.

“Visual communication can be as simple as a business card or a logo,” he said.

Part of the class involves students making their own posters and advertising for their art exhibit. They also have to name and hang up all the art being displayed.

“I think students who reflect contemporary art and design have traveled the most,” said Gambill.

One show that reflects contemporary trends through traveling is the second exhibition.

Senior graphic design major Amy Colgan said her pieces reflect New York City.

“I love New York and New York-based things,” she said. “I really enjoy contrast and use of color and bright accents.”

Colgan said her work ranges from print work, logos, brochures, painting and print making.

“I’m excited to show my work,” she said.

Colgan is showing her work with Erika Karsky and Katie Fritz, both senior graphic design majors.

Fritz said the styles of her pieces are things that are clean and grid organization.

“I like to use a lot of white space,” she said.

Fritz said the show has been a bit hard to put together because encompassing four years of work in one spot is not easy.

“It is good to see work being done at the university. People don’t realize what a good graphic design program we have,” Fritz said.

Colgan and Fritz’s show will be March 2 through 6 and is titled “Delirious”.

Another graphic design major showing pieces this semester is Siri Boyd.

Boyd said her pieces range from computer-generated things, drawings, paintings and print making.

“My favorite piece is a fine art piece from 2004. It is of a horse figure using charcoal and mixing different media,” she said.

According to Boyd, her inspiration comes from the materials she is using at the time.

“I am inspired by the feeling of charcoal in my hand or the paint on a brush,” she said.

Boyd is showing with Malinda Landsman and Tristan Bauer, both graphic design majors. Their show is on March 16 through 20 and is titled “Conspicuous Skiing Parade.”

“I worked on the poster for a class and decided to go with synonyms for graphic design for the title,” said Boyd.

According to Colgan, non-art students should attend the senior shows because “people don’t get what graphic design does. It is interwoven into everything.”

The first group of students includes senior graphic design majors Erica Frank and Lyndi Hawke and fine arts major Rose Sexton. Their show will run from Feb. 23 though 27.

#1.881871:557384340.JPG:DSC_1406.JPG:’Beginning of the Obsession’, an acrylic and oil on canvas by Lyndi Hawke is on display at the Ritz Gallery. :#1.881870:2217809666.JPG:DSC_1395.JPG:’Joseph Daniel,’ an acrylic on canvas by Rose Sexton is on display at the Ritz Gallery: