A toasty opening

Shelbie Kinsey

Shelbie Kinsey

The Brookings sandwich selection has expanded with the opening of Quiznos Feb. 22.

“We opened (Sunday) and business has been amazing; we have had lines out the door,” Rob Bortnem, manager of the Brookings Quiznos said.

The new store is located on Sixth Street in the new Calla Center strip mall, between Z’kota and Dairy Queen. Owner Mark Augenbaugh said he is excited for the franchise to finally open because he bought the rights to Quiznos two years ago and has been searching for a location in Brookings.

Quiznos offers not only toasted subs but also prime rib and soup. Augenbaugh thinks that the store will be popular in Brookings because, “It has totally different products than other stores in town.”

“We will have the basics, soups, sandwiches, cookies and salads,” Bortnem said.

Although there are a few sandwich shops in Brookings, Alex Moffitt, a sophomore microbiology major, thinks that the store will be popular because “it will add variety to our dining options in Brookings.”

Quiznos is still hiring part-time and hopes to hire more college students, especially through the summer months.

“Quiznos is perfect for when I want something toasted and melty. It makes me want to shove my face,” said Cate Mailloux, a freshman music education major from Sioux Falls.

At this time Quiznos is not accepting Hobo Dough, but Augenbaugh hopes to in the near future.

“Right now we are working on getting tons of coupons out to the dorms,” Bortnem said.

The biannual coupon book also contains a Quiznos discount.

The franchise is open 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. every day of the week and will deliver during the same hours. The store might stay open later if business goes well during the later hours of the evening, which would be a plus because there are not many places open late at night, the owner said.

“I think that Quiznos could become really popular with the students at SDSU if the prices are right and the food is good,” said sophomore graphic design major Stormy Faran.

#1.881890:1788497069.jpg:Quiznos.jpg::Robby Gallagher