Students can find fries at five

Tony Gorder

Tony Gorder

SDSU students who have midnight cravings need look no further than McDonald’s for their late-night hunger pains.

As of March 17, the Brookings McDonald’s has started 24-hour service Tuesday through Saturday.

“There are a lot of McDonald’s nationwide that have gone 24-hours,” said Kristi Boyles, store manager.

According to Boyles, the decision was made at the local level by Mike Hartshorne, the owner of the McDonald’s in Brookings as well as both McDonald’s restaurants in Watertown, S.D., and the McDonald’s in Pierre, S.D.

“All his other businesses are 24 hours,” said Boyles. “We felt there was business out there with factories and college students.”

From midnight to 4 a.m., a smaller menu is served. Items on the menu include the quarter-pounder meal, the quarter-pounder with cheese, the double quarter-pounder meal, the 10-piece chicken nugget meal, the crispy, grilled or classic chicken sandwich, breakfast burritos and hot cakes.

“It’s a very simplified menu,” said Boyles.

Across town, the Brookings Burger King has not changed its hours at this time.

“We have no plan at the present [to be open 24 hours],” owner Pete Binker said.

“It’s nice to have the option late at night when you’re finishing homework and are like, ‘I’m hungry,'” said Jeff Vahrenkamp, a senior microbiology major from Rapid City, S.D. “There have been times at 2 a.m. when I have wanted someplace to eat.”

Tiffany Mehlhaff also said she likes the idea of McDonald’s being open 24 hours.

“It’s nice to have somewhere to go late at night,” said Mehlhaff. “It’s better than going to Walmart.”

Damian Hoffman, a sophomore psychology major from Stickney, S.D., was not thrilled with the idea, however.

“It’s really bittersweet,” said Hoffman. “It’s the only place to go for food at night, but it’s not that good.”

Boyles said she is confident in business during the late night/early morning hours.

“We had a good turnout for our first week,” she said.

#1.881770:1354883811.jpg:IMG_8489.1.jpg:The local McDonald’s advertises their decision to stay open 24 hours a day on Tuesday through Saturday. :Robby Gallagher