Foods substitute ordinary objects in films

Laura Lucas

Laura Lucas

“His work is clever and inventive. I enjoy the playful and lighthearted characteristics,” said Diana Behl, visiting assistant professor of visual arts.

The work Behl is referring to is the animation of Adam Pesapane, who goes by PES. PES is a New York based short film animator who has won awards for his work.

According to his Web site, PES won the Best First Film award in 2002 at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival. The film, Roof Sex, was about two chairs sneaking out of a room and going to a rooftop. Recently, PES’s newest film, Western Spaghetti, won honorable mention at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival.

“He continues to explore in his work between an object and what is happening. Each project increases in complexity,” said Cable Hardin, assistant visual arts professor.

According to Hardin, PES uses a technique called pixilation. This technique uses live action elements that looks like stop motion.

“I like the slick professional look of his work. The concept is playful and has great movement. He has fun with his ideas,” said Hardin.

Hardin said students have been exposed to PES’s work during the animation festival in October and some commercials on television. Some commercial work includes Sprint, Scrabble, Nike and Bacardi.

According to his Web site, PES uses everyday objects in place of other objects in his work. One example is in his film Western Spaghetti, in which he uses rubber bands in place of spaghetti. In his film Game Over, based on video games, he uses a flower in place of an explosion.

PES will speak in the Volstorff Ballroom at 5:30 p.m. on April 6. This event is free to students and the public. He will also be visiting some animation classes.

“PES speaking to our classes is a good opportunity for students to interact on a casual intimate level with someone in that field,” said Hardin.