Freshman leads Jacks at Jim Colbert Invite

Justin Wulf

Justin Wulf

A rough first round hindered the men’s golf team, who finished last with a score of 641 at the Jim Colbert Invitational hosted by Kansas State.

“When we struggle, we tend to make that day and that course a lot harder than it really is,” coach Jared Baszler said. “It was really frustrating.”

The men had trouble keeping the ball on the course early, posting a first round 338 before closing out with a 303 on Sept. 22.

“The first day was unfortunately one of those days,” Baszler said. “It wasn’t any one thing, we just had a lot of high numbers.”

Freshman Parker Edens led SDSU with a two-day total of 156 – which tied him for 29th overall. Freshman David Smith shot a team-high 92 on Sept. 21.

“David played poorly the first round,” Baszler said. “It’s part of growing as a golf program and part of being young and having two seniors that played poorly as well on Monday.”

Smith, who finished tied for 51st, rebounded with a second-round 76 on Tuesday, but the men still finished 72 strokes back of tournament-winner Kansas State.

“Our inexperience showed on a tough golf course,” Baszler said. “I think it had a lot to do with the short game. That’s usually what it comes down to when you’re playing poorly.

“If you’re having trouble chipping and putting, then you’re not going to score well-regardless of how well you’re striking the ball.”

Senior Kyle Vandevoort shot a first round 87, but recovered with a 77 on Sept. 22 to finish tied for 45th.Sophomore Nolan Meyer tied for 42nd with a 162, while senior Justin Jenkins rallied from a first-round 89 to shoot a 165 and tie for 49th. Brian Wynia tied for 33rd with a 157.

Baszler hopes that his men’s team can turn things around next weekend at the Cleveland State Invitational in Avon, Ohio.

“We’ve always played well at Cleveland State,” Baszler said. “We like that golf course.”