H1N1 reported at SDSU

Amy Poppinga

Amy Poppinga

H1N1 has hit campus only two weeks into school.

Four cases of the flu have been reported at SDSU, two in off-campus residents and two in students living in the residence halls.

Three of those students went home to their permanent addresses and the other was already feeling better by the time the school was alerted.

“Four positives in two weeks of operation is actually below what we had expected,” said Doug Wermedal, assistant vice president for student affairs.

SDSU does have a pandemic preparedness plan in place, but with students living in close proximity to one another, Wermedal said there still could be an outbreak in the residence halls.

“The concern for student well-being prompted our plan in the first place,” he said.

As of last Friday, 121 cases of H1N1 had been confirmed in South Dakota. Only one was reported in Brookings County as of last week.

If students have questions about H1N1, they can contact SDSU’s hotline at (605) 688-SICK.

Look in the Sept. 16 issue of The Collegian for more information on this story.

Help Yourself and Others Stay Healthy

There is no vaccine available right now to protect against swine flu. However, there are everyday actions that can help prevent the spread of germs that cause respiratory illnesses like influenza, such as:

? Avoid close contact with people who appear to be sick or are known to be sick.? If you get sick with influenza, CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.? Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you sneeze or cough; immediately throw the issue in the trash. If no tissue is readily available, cover your mouth and nose with the crook of your arm.? Wash your hands thoroughly often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers work effectively as a temporary measure.? Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth to reduce the spread of germs.? Practice healthy behaviors, such as getting sleep, drinking plenty of fluids and eating a nutritious, balanced diet.- Taken from the Student Health and Counseling Services Web site.