Profanity and coffee support CMN

Billie Jo Kubat

Billie Jo Kubat

Lots of people swear. So why not have people use their profanity for a higher cause instead of simply venting frustration?

If a student walks into the University Program Council or the Students’ Association offices and happens to say a few unpleasant words, they will be fined.

Last year, UPC started charging 50 cents and the SA started charging 25 cents to anyone who spouted profanity in their offices. All of the money collected from the swear jars goes to the Children’s Miracle Network.

Last year, the swear jars raised more than $80 said Eric Haiar, a senior music merchandising and business economics major, who is helping organize the CMN fundraiser.

“People can run (on a) rampage with language. This is a good way for people to help stop some profanity,” said Carson Dinger, UPC vice president.

Dinger also said his office keeps a tally to keep track of people who has used expletives.

“It is not a big problem. Most people pay right away,” said Dinger, a senior psychology and sociology major.

“It’s a way to improve professionalism, and at the same time, it’s a great charity,” Haiar said.

This year, the swear jars have already raised more than $35. All of the money that CMN receives from UPC stays local.

“It goes to Sanford Children’s in Sioux Falls. They use it for new machines or to help the families pay for meals or gas,” Haiar said.

For now, UPC and SA are the only ones that are doing a swear jar, but they would be happy to see the program grow to other parts of the campus, Haiar said. He also sees the program continuing for years to come.

“I think it is great that SDSU is donating money. Every little bit counts,” said Caitlin Daniel, a sophomore biology and pre-veterinary student. “This is a really effective donation.”

These are not the only two efforts going on at SDSU to help the kids and families of CMN.

A Monday cup of coffee at any of the Java City locations on campus is also a way to help. On “Miracle Mondays,” Java City donates 5 cents of every coffee purchase to CMN.

“From now until December, 25 cents of every Tropical Javalanche bought any day is given to the Children’s Miracle Network,” said Jill Norman, director of Dining Services.

Java City’s Miracle Monday fundraiser started three years ago. It raised $750 last year. Aramark pitched in $250 for a grand total of $1,000 donated to CMN.

Norman said they expect to donate about the same amount of money this year as well.

The Children’s Miracle Network is not the only group to which Aramark makes donations.

“Five cents of every to-go container is donated to the sustainability program started here at SDSU,” Norman said.

Medary Commons and the Market at The Union are the two locations that are donating to the sustainability program. Last year, $2,000 was donated to the sustainability program. Norman said the donated money has been used to help put more recycling bins on campus.

“Aramark does lots of things for single events, but CMN and the sustainability program are the only two that are ongoing,” she said.

#1.881387:1731207790.jpg:JAVA CITY 2.jpg:Junior Erin Kennedy prepares a coffee at Java City in The Union. Java City donates 5 cents to CMN from every coffee sold on Mondays.:Robby Gallagher