Diversity and entertainment will be the stars at International Night

Katie Jones

Katie Jones

Following the festivities that have made Hobo Week legendary among Jackrabbits, SDSU’s international student community gets ready to showcase their various talents.

Diverse cultures are represented and exotic dishes will be served on International Night, taking place Oct. 25 in the Volstorff Ballroom.

Every year, the International Relations Club hosts the event, which will run from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

“International Night 2009 will be an event to remember. This year is set up differently; we have a better stage appeal, more entertainment and food, different music and more countries represented,” said Omar Hasan, president of the IRC. “Previously, International Night was strongly represented by only a few countries, but we feel it wouldn’t truly be international event if the USA and other countries were excluded.”

This year, students from 50 different countries will be participating in International Night. With the addition of three student groups to the IRC, more cultures can be represented. Joining International Night are the Latin American Student Association, the Black Student Alliance and the African Students’ Association.

In this version of International Night, the IRC also has the support of several sponsors.

International Night offers an array of cultural acts, but it is also an opportunity to try new flavors from different nations.

“Food will be served from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. The main dishes will be made by IRC members and will feature food from China, Nepal, India and the Philippines. This year we will also have dessert made by French and Latino students,” said Him Acharya, International Night food committee member and computer science graduate student. “The idea is to have people taste different foods from around the world in order to experience different cultures.”

The stage at International Night will supply several forms of entertainment, displaying cultures from around the globe.

“There will be performances that are representative of 10 different countries. The stage will come alive with several performances, dances and speeches and will even include a fashion show at the end of the night,” said Hiran Kandala, a chemistry graduate student who is in charge of all the performances for International Night

Lin Lin, International Program Coordinator, said International Night is open to the entire community.

“This event gives everyone a chance to learn and experience different cultures from around the world while interacting with international students,” Lin said. “International Night entertains more than 400 guests each year with cultural cuisine and diversity showcases.”

With the homecoming game and the parade on Saturday and International on Sunday, Lin said she thinks this will definitely give the Hobo Week a big finish.

International Night 2009 is expected to be bigger with more countries represented, several performances and a larger variety of food. The event is an opportunity to experience different cultures while staying on campus. Tickets for the International Night 2009 are being sold in advance at the Multicultural Center located in the Student Union. Students pay $7, adults $10 and children 10 and under pay $5.

#1.881359:1450251438.jpg:japan dance2 .1.jpg:Japanese students practice dancing to Soran Bushi for International Night 2009, to be held Oct. 25 at 6 p.m.:Katie Jones