Letters to the editor

Support abuse shelter

Starting April 20 ending April 22, the men of Lambda Chi Alpha will be holding their annual Teeter-Totter-A-Thon on the west side of the Rotunda/NFA building.

The Teeter-Totter-a-Thon is a 48-hour event, where two people are riding the teeter-totter at all times, rain or shine. The men of Lambda Chi Alpha hold this event to help raise money for the Brookings Domestic Abuse Shelter and to help raise awareness about domestic abuse in Brookings. The men of Lambda Chi Alpha have held this event annually since 1990.

Last year Lambda Chi Alpha was able to raise just over $200 for the Brookings Domestic Abuse Shelter. The students, faculty, and staff of SDSU donated the majority of the money, and the rest of the money was donated by local businesses, which was greatly appreciated. This year our goal is to raise $350 for the Brookings Domestic Abuse Shelter.

We will be hanging out and listening to music throughout the duration of the event, and we encourage all the students, faculty, and staff to stop by our table on the west side of Rotunda/NFA building to donate their loose change for a good cause. So stop by to cheer us on.

Justin Hoflock

Lambda Chi

Review poorly represents movie

I read the movie reviews in the April 12 issue of the Juice and was disappointed by the review for “Sin City.”

Of the four movies reviewed, “Sin City” received the lowest rating. Though I’ve only seen two of the four movies, I consider “Sin City” the best out of the ones reviewed. Not to knock “Miss Congeniality 2”, “Sahara” or “Fever Pitch”, but there was a reason why “Sin City” was the highest grossing movie last week: it’s not just good, it’s damn good. It may be one of the few movies I buy on DVD as soon as it comes out rather than wait for the cheap, used copies from the local rental places in town.

Also, your movie-goer couldn’t get past the gore/mature themes to see the dark humor and fantastic storytelling. The article actually put the writing in the bad part of the review. I find this the worst part of the review especially considering the movie was shot frame by frame from the graphic novels/comics written by Frank Miller. Frank Miller is one of the top comic/graphic novel writers in the world and most of his stories are considered classics. The “Sin City” series is no different and the number of top name celebrities in the movie will attest to that fact.

I highly recommend “Sin Cit”” to fans of great but mature movies, but by no means is it a date movie. Any of the other three movies reviewed would be much better suited for that.

Adam Langbehn

Physics

Teenagers make good sitters

This is in reference to the article “Younger sisters make terrible baby sitters” by Roxy Hammond published in the April 12 issue of the Collegian. I do agree that teenagers are at the age of having a lot of fun and pranks.

You and, I think, everyone admit this. But people behave differently in different situations. In class or in front of guests, one tries to behave as he or she is the best person in the world. Likewise, one explicits different behaviors in friend circles or at friends’ parties.

Having said that, I think that teenagers do make good baby-sitters if not better and that is why people hire them.

Ajay Singh

Grad. Student,

Ag. Engg.

Students support library

On behalf of the faculty and staff of H.M. Briggs Library, I would like to sincerely thank the group of students who contributed to and delivered a large handmade thank-you note to the library this week in honor of “Thank Your School Librarian Day.”

April 10-16, 2005 is also National Library Week, and this recognition by members of our student body was particularly poignant during a time in which we are celebrating the wonderful myriad of contributions libraries and library workers make to communities nationwide.

On the average day, 1,000 patrons take advantage of the many services and materials available at Briggs Library. Additionally, our services are accessed regularly online by our on-campus and distance communities. Last year alone we answered nearly 15,000 reference questions and instructed over 300 classes, to more than 6,000 students!. The 32 full-time staff members and more than 50 student employees at Briggs Library are dedicated to providing the best possible services and resources to our campus community.

Exciting things are happening at your library. We greatly appreciate the support of the fun-loving, hard-working students at SDSU who keep the university tradition of excellence alive and kicking.

Laura M. Wight

Asst. Professor/Reference Librarian

Crosses portray murder

In response to the “Photo of the Week” in the April 12 issue of the Collegian, I was surprised that there was no explanation for the “protest.”

First of all, I am not sure that the word protest is the right word choice to be taken here. The crosses are trying to symbolize the fact that murder has taken place 826 times in the state of South Dakota in the year 2002 A.D. in the form of abortions. This is to be taken as a solemn memorial to the lives lost in such a barbarous and unnecessary way.

It is trying to make a visual statement that yes this sort of thing even happens in South Dakota, that murder has taken place here in the form of abortions. Each one of those crosses is symbolizing a young South Dakotan that could have been our next leader.

Though many people do not see this as murder, there is no other way to state it when you are taking the life of a truly living human being. Truly believing that life begins at the moment of conception, abortions can only be classified as one thing, murder.

In changing the issue to freedom of speech, people are getting away from the true issue that is being addressed here. The lives that have been taken from us through abortions were not given that gift of freedom of speech, and that is a true shame.

Daniel E. Harders

Member of Mt. Calvary’s Lutheran

Student Fellowship

Political Science and History Major

Sitting teaches responsibility

I am writing in response to Roxy Hammond’s column about teenagers not being good babysitters, published in the April 12 issue of the Collegian. I personally do not agree with that and I find it resentful.

I have been babysitting since I was 10-years-old and I believe I have done a very good job. I got compliments from everyone I baby-sat for and was highly recommended. Now granted some of today’s youth aren’t fit to baby-sit but it is because of that mentality that we have towards them. When I was trusted with children, it gave me the opportunity to grow up, and the fact that I was well liked, made it even better.

Kids relate to kids. They form bonds and they make good role models for each other. We put so much pressure on young people today that, yes, sometimes they do get in trouble and do act immature but that’s what being a kid is all about. Having fun and being young while you can.

Baby-sitting offers a growing up element to that. I know many teenagers who are capable of cooking food for themselves. Even when I started babysitting, the food was made for me and there was a “baby-sitter snack cupboard,” in which there were food items I could give to the kids without having to turn on any electrical appliances.

To be honest, I wouldn’t trust some of my collegiate friends to baby-sit. How can we trust anyone to do this specific and important task? With faith that they will do a good job. Belief in our youth is what will keep this country and its morals and values running for a long period of time.

Molly Muth

Got flat balls?

It was a quiet Sunday afternoon, so I called up my friends and we decided to go shoot some hoops. We grabbed our baseketball gear and off to the HPER my roommates and I went.

Once we got there we noticed that our balls were a little flat. We then went to the main desk and asked to borrow an air pump. For such a simple taks, we found ourselves in a difficult dilemma. the lady behind the desk seemed to have no information about an airpump. Since she was unable to offer us an air pump, she handed us one of the HPER’s balls. However, their ball was even flatter than ours. Therefore, we posed her a question, what do they wo when their balls go flat?

Baffled and bewildered from her unkown anseer, we headed back to the court. We put down tow flat balls and started up a game of horse. with what seemed like the only aired up ball in the gym.

When the game of horse ended that day, the question of why a simple piece of gym equipment was not readily availabe for student use continued to play on in our head. On a quiet Sunday afternoon, what do you do with your flat balls?

Jenna Frederick