Spring break planning can be ‘life changing’

Kristine Young

Kristine Young

Spring break is just around the corner and many students are scrambling to finalize plans for their spring break trips. While some students go on trips to get away from the cold or relax, some choose to do alternative spring breaks and make a difference.

Karen Gores, branch manager of Travel Leaders in Brookings, said they work with college students often when planning spring break trips.

“They book through us to know they have the security of a professional,” Gores said, adding that Cancun and Jamaica are some of the most common spring break destinations for students. She said cruises are also a popular choice.

Gores said she thinks Cancun and Jamaica are so popular because they are the most economically feasible for college students. An all-inclusive resort in Cancun for a week can cost anywhere from $700 to $1,000 a person, she said.

Meanwhile, there are others who choose to keep their trips domestic. Andrea Dries, a sophomore early childhood education major from Minneapolis, Minn., is going to San Diego for spring break. Dries said she is going by herself to visit a friend that recently moved to San Diego.

“I knew I wanted to either go to Florida to visit my cousin or San Diego to visit my friend. I’ve been to Florida many times and I’ve only been to San Diego once and I absolutely loved it so I wanted to go back.”

Dries said she was able to get cheap plane tickets, and her and a friend were able to plan the trip by themselves. She said she thinks everyone should go somewhere fun for spring break.

“Be spontaneous and live life. Everybody needs a break from the cold and school,” said Dries.

Jourdan Clark, a freshman physical therapy major from Freemont, Neb., is going to Hawaii for spring break.

Clark said he is going for fun with a group of friends to relax and change things up. He said he isn’t active in the planning process and his friends are taking care of most of it.

“I’m just going along for the ride and enjoying it,” said Clark.

Clark said that everyone should be thinking about going on a spring break trip but realizes that Hawaii may be too expensive for some people.

While there may be sun and fun in some Jackrabbits’ spring break, others are taking the time to work on social issues. Christine Murtha, a junior Spanish education and American Indian Studies minor from Brandon, is going on an alternative spring break to the Cheyenne River Reservation in Eagle Butte.

“In the future, I want to work on the reservation and be a teacher and create afterschool programs and this is a good way to get first hand experience of the needs on reservations,” said Murtha.

Murtha said she heard about the trip through a flyer and then attended an informational meeting before she decided whether or not she would go on the trip.

Murtha said there are seven people going to Eagle Butte and they will be doing a variety of things from listening to speakers, helping with afterschool programs, working at the community center, and working with Passion for Fashion.

Passion for Fashion is a program designed to help girls get ready for prom by getting people to donate dresses and jewelry.

Murtha said she would suggest an alternative spring break to anyone. She said her trip is cheap at only $200 and she will be able to make a difference.

“I think it’s definitely a life changing experience and it gives greater satisfaction than other trips.”