SDSU home to many Nepalese students

Kathleen Fitzgerald

Kathleen Fitzgerald

Four hundred and forty people from the SDSU community and Brookings came together Feb. 21 for Nepal Nite 2010, organized by the Nepalese Student Association (NeSA).

“This is a time for learning, a time for sharing, and a time for some of us to expand our horizons,” SDSU President David Chicoine said during his opening remarks.

NeSA played a video during the program in which members of the SDSU community were asked what they know about Nepal, and many did not know much about the country.

“The responses we got were not very enthusiastic, which reiterates the importance of events such as Nepal Nite” said Umit Shrestha, sociology graduate student and co-host of the event. “We want the people to know where we come from.”

Those who attended Sunday night’s event learned plenty of information, aside from watching the students’ song and dance routines, viewing the cultural attire and eating authentic Nepalese food.

For example, in Nepal it is considered rude for a man to compliment a woman on her looks or try shaking her hand if he does not know her. It is also rude to call a person that is older than you by their first name.

“Since we have a significant number of students from Nepal going to SDSU, I think it is necessary for us to showcase our culture to the community,” Shrestha said. “And since the SDSU community has wholeheartedly welcomed all Nepalese students, it is necessary to give them a peek into our culture.”

Jordan Long, geography student at SDSU, attended Nepal Nite last year and decided to come back.

“I came for the food, the entertainment and to support my friends,” Long said.

Shrestha said it took an “immense” amount of time to organize the sold out event.

“Right from designing the tickets and flyers to determining the menu, it takes real hard work and dedication.”