Exercise your civic duty early

Hannah Baker

Hannah BakerNews Editor

In an effort to get more students to vote, SDSU is hosting an early-voting poll in The Union Sept. 29 and 30 in hopes of making SDSU a permanent voting precinct.

The voting booth will be located in the Greek Life Office on the east side of Main Street in The Union. There, students can register to vote and cast their ballot all in one stop.

“Students who are a part of precinct one and two can stop by from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. next week during the two days and vote as long as they have their student I.D. for verification,” SA Sen. Hasson Ali said.

Ali said students who are not a part of precinct one or two are able to register for an absentee ballot at the voting booth next Wednesday and Thursday.

“Students from Sioux Falls for example, can come in and request a form to have an absentee ballot and we will have people there to help them fill everything out and get them setup,” Ali said.

Ali said he hopes the trial will be a success and a permanent precinct will be available for students and get students involved in the election process.

“In 2006 we registered 1,000 students, and this year we want to register 2,010 students for the year 2010,” Ali said.

Ally Koosman, junior human development major from Tea, said she would actively vote if she could on campus.

“I currently do not actively participate in voting,” Koosman said. “However, if SDSU had polls available on campus I would definitely be more likely to, and I think other students would be too.”

Willy Olson, business economics major from Brookings, had a different opinion on the voting booth idea.

“Since I live off campus and do not visit The Union that often, I don’t think it would make that much of a difference for me,” Olson said. “However, if there were polls elsewhere on campus, like the library since I go there a lot to do homework, I would more likely vote.”