Jacks cool off in new hot spot

Ben Lippert

Ben LippertReporter

The new Jackrabbit Village is a hot topic on campus early into the 2010 school year.

The complex is comprised of three residence halls for a total of 233 rooms. The rooms in Jackrabbit Village feature higher ceilings, central air and more room per square foot. Each floor in the three buildings has a soundproof study room, two restrooms, air conditioning and a kitchen.

Jackrabbit Village is open to freshmen and sophomore students, but at a higher price than any other residence hall on campus.

“Jackrabbit Village does cost more than the other on-campus housing options because it offers many more amenities for its residents, making it more expensive to maintain and run

the facility,” Margaret Sykes, Jackrabbit Hall director, said. “However, the difference in price is not much more than the rooms in Caldwell Hall, which offer private bathrooms for its

residents as an extra amenity.”

Sykes said the perks of living in Jackrabbit Village include greater accessibility to experienced staff, as well as other luxuries that come with newer facilities.

One of those luxuries is central air conditioning.

Jacob Ballard, a sophomore manufacturing engineering technology major, said students in other halls complain about the heat and lack of air conditioning. He said that in Jackrabbit Village most of the rooms get too cold and they have to turn the air off at times.

Ballard had other reasons for living in Jackrabbit Village.

“I didn’t want to live in Caldwell and clean my own bathroom,” said Ballard. “Jackrabbit Village is close to a lot of my classes.”

Laci Lynn is a freshman nursing major. She chose to live in Jackrabbit Village because the rooms are bigger and because of the buildings close proximity to The Union.

“I think Jackrabbit Village is really nice and AC makes it more livable,” said Lynn. “I think it isn’t too cluttered because we only have one set of bunks.”

Sykes said that so far the overall reaction has been positive.

“So far everyone is really pleased with the new hall,” said Sykes. “They are enjoying the kitchen space, free dayroom cable and of course the AC. Everyone feels as if they have entered a hotel when they walk into the hallways.”

Right now the halls in Jackrabbit Village are simply named A, B and C. Sykes said that they will be renamed by the end of October. She said the university is waiting on final approval

before announcing the new names.

Mathews hall also got a facelift due to the construction of Jackrabbit Village.

Freshman pharmacy major, Courtney Nogelmeier said Mathews looks very nice after the renovations and she appreciates the atmosphere that it offers.

“I love that people with similar interests are on my floor and are mostly serious about learning,” says Nogelmeier.

Brown Hall

Known as the “healthy living hall,” Brown was built in 1959 for male residents. It has since been changed to a co-ed hall with the genders assigned to separate wings. The residence hall was named in honor of George Lincoln Brown who was called upon by the Board of Regents to serve as acting president on six different occasions.

Mathews Hall

Built in 1962, Mathews hall hosts 380 students including many engineering, health, and honors students. It was named after Hubert Mathews who attended SDSU in the late 1890’s. Mathews would later return to SDSU as an instructor in physics and chemistry. He is credited with organizing the electrical engineering department and engineering division.

Pierson Hall

Home to the “Hobo Hangout,” Pierson hall was named after Edith Pierson who was a former teacher and Dean of the Home Economics Department. Pierson hall was built in 1964 and underwent a major renovation in 2003. It now holds 440 residents.

Binnewies Hall

Binnewies is connected to the Larson Complex which includes a computer lab, campus C-store, and the Larson dining hall. Binnewies hall was built in 1969 and named in honor of Edward Ralph Binnewies who served as director of student affairs for over 20 years. It hosts 490 residents.

Young Hall

Young Hall is also connected to the Larson Complex. Young hall was built in 1969 and hosts 490 residents. It was named after Gertrude S. Young, who started teaching history at SDSU in 1909. Young was a professor for 34 years, and upon retirement she was awarded Faculty Emeritus of history.

Caldwell Hall

Caldwell is a suite-style dorm that hosts 300 students. The residence hall was named in honor of artist and professor, Ada Bertha Caldwell. In her career she instructed well-known artists such as Harvey Dunn! Mrs. Caldwell has inspired many other buildings on campus including the Sylvan Theatre.

Waneta Complex

The complex includes Waneta hall and Wecota Annex. It was named after a famous Sioux Indian Chief who fought in the War of 1812. Each hall is unique and offers different living environments for its residents.

Hansen Hall

Built in 1967, Hansen hall underwent renovations in the summer of 2003 and 2004. It now holds 440 residents and is home of the Agriculture and Biological Sciences Living Learning Community. Hansen hall was named after Dr. Neils Hansen who worked at SDSU for 42 years as a specialist in the areas of research and plant breeding.