Garbage Band

Ben Lippert

Ben LippertReporter

One man’s trash is another man’s musical instrument? Recycled Percussion is a rock band from New Hampshire that plays to a different tune. Instead of conventional instruments, they use recycled objects such as ladders, pots, pans and 50-gallon drums as musical instruments to perform both original songs and covers of popular rock songs.

Recycled Percussion preformed at the grand opening of the Children’s Museum of South Dakota in Brookings Sept. 12.

“I don’t really know how we ended up here,” said Ryan Vezina, a drummer in the band. “We love doing shows for kids and charities.”

Recycled Percussion preformed for a crowd of several hundred kids, their parents and SDSU students. They got the crowd involved by having members of the audience throw drumsticks to one of the drummers as he caught them and continued playing.

The band didn’t stay in Brookings long.

Vezina said they have a permanent show on the “Strip” in Las Vegas. They play six shows a week at the MGM Grand Casino and Hotel.

“Performing in Las Vegas is every performers dream,” Vezina said.

The band now lives in Las Vegas, but their journey getting there is like something out of a fairy-tale novel.

Recycled Percussion has been playing together for 13 years with a variety of members. They hit it big when they placed third on the reality show “America’s Got Talent.” Before all the fame and large venues, Recycled Percussion was performing at local high school talent shows in New Hampshire. They were finally noticed by an elementary school principal and the rest is history.

Vezina said they have done some national touring, but for the near future they will mainly just play shows at the MGM Grand. The Band has confirmed they will be participating in the Chinese version of “America’s got Talent” later this fall.

#1.1602893:3808869357.jpg:Band members of the Recycled Percussion rock band entertain children, families and students alike:Band members of the Recycled Percussion rock band entertain children, families and students alike at museum opening. :Collegian Photo by Robby Gallaher