?Nameless No More? contest launches, runs until Oct. 17

For the past 104 years, the beloved South Dakota State Jackrabbit mascot has been without a name. The SDSU Alumni Association would like to change that.

Starting, Monday, Oct. 4, the “Nameless No More” contest begins, giving alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends of SDSU the opportunity to name a State icon that is frequently seen cheering at Jackrabbit athletic events and representing SDSU at numerous functions throughout campus and the state.

Individuals wishing to take part in the contest may submit potential names through Sunday, Oct. 17. A committee comprised of students, alumni, faculty, university officials and members of the Brookings community will select a list of finalists. An on-line vote for the official name will begin Wednesday, Oct. 20, and run through Sunday, Oct. 31. The official name will be announced at the Jackrabbit Birthday Bash on Friday, Nov. 12, in The Union on the SDSU campus.

Name submissions will be accepted via email and can be sent to [email protected] using “Naming Contest” in the subject line. Submissions must also include the submitter’s name and phone number. Consideration will be given to names that fit with “The Jackrabbit,” have historic or regional ties to SDSU or the state of South Dakota, are gender neutral and are the most marketable. The URL for the on-line vote will be announced on Wednesday, Oct. 20.

For additional information and contest rules, those interested should visit www.statealum.com.