Men?s cross country team wins second consecutive Summit League title

Dustin Veurink

Dustin VeurinkSportswriter

The men’s cross country team had confidence heading into the Summit League Championship, and it showed.

The men out-scored Oakland 43 to 58 to repeat as Summit League Champions.

Leading the way was the Junior duo of Michael Krsnak and Anthony Bongard. Krsnak placed third with a time of 24 minutes, 48.6 seconds and was named to the all-league first team.

Bongard finished just behind Krsnak for fourth place with a time of 24:52. He was also named to the all-league first team.

“Anthony and Michael were in the exact positions that we needed them to be,” said head coach Rod DeHaven.

Sophomore Jared Ailts also finished in the top ten. Ailts placed ninth with a time of 25:16.9 and was named to the all-league second team. Senior Greg Vollmer was also named to all-league second team with a 12th place time of 25:20.4.

“Our third and fourth guys matched up with Oakland’s third guy,” DeHaven said. “Jared Ailts had a great race and Greg Vollmer was solid again to get 12th.”

Senior Marshall Kambestad rounded out the Jacks top five runners with a 15th place with a time of 25:34.

“Marshall Kambestad sealed the deal as he kept moving up the entire race,” DeHaven said.

Kyle Schmidt finished 21st beating out Oakland and NDSU’s fifth runner.

“It is not easy to repeat,” DeHaven said. “I really appreciate the guys passion to want to get this done and the respect they have for the tradition of the program.”

DeHaven was named Coach of the Year for the second consecutive year.

The women’s cross country team finished sixth in the Summit League Championship.

Sophomore Erin Hargens continued her great season with a third place finish with a season best time of 21 minutes and 24.3 seconds. Hargens was named to the all-league first team.

“Erin had an amazing race,” DeHaven said. “Considering the two weeks she missed to injury and the caliber of runners she was competing against, it was very remarkable.”

Junior Kelsey Clausen finished 36th with a time of 23:09.5. Freshman Mariah Hofer finished 40th with a time of 23:22.

Sophomore Tera Potts and junior Brooke Wyffels rounded the scoring for the Jacks. Potts finished 43rd with a time of 23:25.2 and Wyffels finished 48th with a time of 23:33.4.

SDSU finished with 159 points Oakland edged out Southern Utah 45 to 50 to win the women’s Summit League Championship.

The teams will be in Peoria, Ill for the NCAA Midwest Regional on Nov. 13.