TOMS shoes for the sole

Hannah Baker

Hannah BakerNews Editor

A unique approach to world service gives students the chance to create their own shoe style and help others.

It can be easy for students to walk through their daily routines and not think about the outside world, or about the shoes that take them there. However, this will soon change, as TOMS Shoes will be in The Union for a shoe-decorating event, Style Your Sole, with the goal of educating students about what it really means to be “One-for-One’.

TOMS Shoes is a company that founded itself on a one-for-one movement: for every pair of shoes a customer buys, they will donate one pair of shoes to a child in need.

On Nov. 4 from 6 to 10 p.m., the University Programs Council and SDSU students who bought shoes two weeks ago from TOMS Shoes will decorate their shoes at the event, personalizing them to their own individual style.

Students picked shoes that were black, white or neutral colored, and UPC is providing all the necessary art supplies, enabling students to make them their own. Cookies and lemonade will also be provided for the participants. The winner for the best shoes will receive a $34 refund, the amount they paid for their shoes.

Courtney Dardis, UPC special events coordinator, admires TOMS Shoes and is glad they are able to come to SDSU.

“I think it’s great because TOMS Shoes is really one of a kind when it comes to retail. Their goal is not only about making money, but it allows customers to give back &- which makes it easier to spend money on shoes when you know it’s helping someone else,” Dardis said.

The event will start off with a 30 to 45-minute documentary about TOMS Shoes, showing the company traveling to different countries and delivering the shoes to less-fortunate children. The rest of the time will be devoted for students to decorate their shoes.

Megan Pavlow, UPC’s community service coordinator who will be acting as a judge and participating in the event, said she is also excited that TOMS Shoes is coming to SDSU.

“This event gives students the opportunity to not only decorate their own shoes, but also help a child in need,” Pavlow said. “This is going to be a really chill event.”

Meghan O’Connor, junior consumer affairs major from Sioux Falls, is planning to take part in the event as well.

“I wanted to be a part of the cause because it’s a really good campaign and a way for students to get involved in something that is bigger than themselves,” O’Connor said.

Pavlow said she hopes all students join in on the event, even if they did not buy shoes to decorate. Everyone is invited to watch the documentary and decoration process.

“I am very passionate about this and it’s a really cool cause. I encourage everyone to come. The documentary is going to be really informative, so even if they didn’t buy shoes, they can walk away from this with a lot of valuable information.”

#1.1743518:2859562650.png:TOMS shoes 11-03-2010 7:The University Program Council sponsored TOMS Shoes event will be giving students the chance to learn about the organization?s one-for-one shoe purchasing movement. Their web site, www.tomsshoes.com, features a variety of shoes that emulate TOMS unique styles. :Collegian Photo by Robby Gallagher