Holiday festival of trees in The Union spreads cheer to students during finals week

Students at SDSU are celebrating the season with their own festival of trees assembled throughout The Union. A total of 36 organizations and departments have decorated trees according to different themes.

The Nursing Student Association decorated a tree complete with an array of nursing stethoscopes, gauze and facemasks while the SDSU Landscape Architecture Club decked out ornaments with drawings and wrapped presents under their tree using sketched master plans. Other organizations such as the Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization had the bright idea to decorate their tree with light bulbs, and the University Bookstore filled theirs with gloves, hats and scarves.

The Union provided fresh, evergreen trees for each group for $10. Each organization and department was responsible for providing its own tree stand, lights and decorations. The trees will be showcased throughout finals week &- Monday, Dec. 13 through Friday, Dec. 17.

Display of the trees is made to give The Union a more “homey” feel and project the spirit of the holidays for students and visitors, said Amy Miller, student manager of the Information Exchange.

When time comes to take down the trees, the Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering will take trees in the best condition to distribute to community churches and Project Joy, a community charitable organization that provides holiday gifts to Brookings County children and families in need. The tree stand, lights and ornaments will not be included.

Trees incapable of being donated will be taken by the wildlife and fishery department to berecycled in various lakes in an effort to help the habitat.