Jackrabbits fall twice at Nebraska duals

David Michaud

David MichaudSportswriter

anksgiving weekend meet in Lincoln, Neb.

Senior Kevin Kelly posted the only win in a 38-3 dual loss to Bucknell (Pa.), while sophomore Aaron Pickrel and freshman Tony Vaske won against No. 22 Nebraska giving the Jacks their only points in the 36-6 loss.

The Jacks matched up first against Bucknell. SDSU came into the day with three open weights, at 133, 184 and 197. The dual began at 125 with Pickrel taking on 2010 national qualifier Derek Reber. Pickrel took an early lead in the match, opening with a takedown. After that it was all Reber, as he scored a reversal and racked up points on his way to a 10-4 victory.

At 141, Vaske faced Zac Hancock. Vaske would not fare well in the match, losing by 10 points, 16-6. Next up was another freshman, Jimmy Hamilton (149). Hamilton took on No. 5 Kevin LeValley. The match was one-sided from the start as LeValley jumped to an early lead and never looked back, winning by technical fall, 17-0.

The Jacks next two matches saw Nick Flynn (157), and John Nething II (165) lose close decisions, 6-3 and 8-5.

At 174, Seth Moe, bumped up two weight classes, but battling the difference proved to be too much, and he lost 11-0. The next weight also saw the Jacks move a wrestler up as David Michaud went from his spot at 174, up to 184. Michaud went on to lose 12-5.

The next weight, 197, was open for the Jacks, leaving only the heavyweight match remaining. At heavyweight Kelly went on to pick up SDSU’s only win in the dual, a 6-3 decision, giving the Jacks their only team points.

The Jacks competed next against No. 22 Nebraska. This dual began differently for the Jacks with Pickrel picking up the first win, giving the Jacks a 3-0 lead with his 3-0 win over Shawn Nagel.

“It was nice to pick up a win to start the dual and get us going. We wrestled very competitively against a top 25 school,” said Pickrel.

The lead would be short-lived for the Jacks, as 133 was forfeited, putting Nebraska up 6-3. The next wrestler for was Vaske (141). Vaske battled back from an early deficit to beat Mike Koehnlein 13-8, tying the dual at six.

“We came out and wrestled Nebraska very tough,” said Assistant Coach Zach Schafer. “Pickrel wrestled a smart match to open the dual and then Vaske came out and wrestled great, showing a lot of poise and toughness for a true freshman. The rest of the team battled hard after the great start from those two.”

The Jacks went on to lose their next four matches as Andrew Youngblom (149), Flynn (157), Nething (165) and Michaud (174) all recorded losses.

In the final match, SDSU’s Kelly was pitted against No. 7 Tucker Lane. Lane took the lead and posted a 4-0 win over Kelly.

The Jacks next action is a home triangular against Northern State and University of Southern Illinois-Edwardsville on Dec. 12.