LETTER: Quit huffing and puffing

I am excited about the potential smoking ban on campus. I would love to avoid dodging around smokers as I walk to class. I am also excited for the possible health benefits. As a nursing major I have seen the negative impact smoking has on quality of life. But I am getting ahead of myself.

I am excited that the potential ban is coming to a student vote. We as students have the opportunity to let the administration hear our collective opinion! I was disappointed to see the editorial comparing this potential ban to California’s attempt to legalize gay marriage. The two issues are on two entirely different playing fields. The problem conservatives have with gay marriage is as a moral issue. The problem the entire country has with smoking is as a public health concern. Still, I am thankful that I live in a democracy where it is acceptable and encouraged to have differing viewpoints.

The key to democracy is to let your voice be heard. That is why I encourage you, both those for and against a smoking ban, to let your voice be heard! If you are a smoker and want to continue to light up on campus please vote. If you are a non-smoker and want to breathe fresh air across campus, vote. We have the wonderful privilege to vote on a topic that we are all obviously very passionate about, so let’s not neglect that privilege by just huffing and puffing; let’s vote!

Jean Marie Snell, Nursing student