LETTER: Resources for vets


For many student veterans the transition from the military to college life can be challenging. One of the major challenges faced by veterans who have been recently discharged from the service is concerning benefits that are provided by the federal, state, and local governments. The Department of Defense provides the Transition Assistance Program (TAP), a week long class for active duty military who are one year or less from discharge. Subjects in TAP include résumé building, job searching, interviewing, and federal benefits. About 80 percent of TAP focuses on establishing a career after discharge from the military, the remaining 20 percent covers federal benefits and miscellaneous subjects.

To help the student veteran population at SDSU, the SDSU Veterans Club is hosting Mike Holzhauser, the Brookings County Veterans Service Officer and two Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom Case Managers from the VA Hospital in Sioux Falls. They will be in Room 260, the State Room, of the Student Union from 8-11 a.m. Jan.19. Both Mike Holzhauser and the case managers will answer any questions you may have about federal, state, or local benefits and resources available to veterans.

Derek Douglas

President, SDSU Veterans Club