Jorgensen leaves SDSU after 11 years

Jerry Jorgensen cites the relationships he has made at SDSU as the thing he will miss the most as he prepares to depart at the end of the semester.

mrwhite

SDSU readies for the replacement process as current dean anticipates moving to Park University in Missouri.

Reporter

June 21 will be the last day for Jerry Jorgensen, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

Jorgensen has accepted a new position as Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs at Park University in Parkville, Mo.

Despite a long run at SDSU, Jorgensen is excited about his new position at Park University.

“I am looking forward to the new challenges [that] lie ahead,” he said. “Like SDSU, Park University is an institution of vision and has a strong sense of purposes and I feel comfortable in that environment.”

Jorgensen said the thing he will miss most about SDSU is the people.

“I have made life-long friendships here that will undoubtedly continue in decades to come,” he said.

Laurie Nichols, Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs, said the feeling is mutual.

“Jerry is a good guy, and I will miss him,” she said. “He brings a lot of energy and enthusiasm to anything he does. Jerry draws energy from students, faculty and staff.”

Nichols went on to comment on Jorgensen’s loyalty to SDSU over the years.

“Jerry has a lot of pride in SDSU,” Nichols said. “He bleeds blue and gold through and through.”

Nichols also said Jorgensen has always been very student oriented.

“Jerry will always take the perspective of the students,” she said. “He always brings the student voice into any conversation that impacts students.”

Steven Grovenburg, a senior theater major, said Jorgensen will be missed because he comes to every theatre performance and is a big supporter of the arts. He also said Jorgensen is very personable and puts students first.

“He walks up to students and just starts talking to them,” he said. “I think that is something people overlook.”

Nichols said SDSU will open Jorgensen’s position in late spring or early summer to try and hire a replacement.

“Anyone internally can apply, and we will have a national search as well,” she said.

Nichols did say that they are looking for certain qualities in the new dean.

“We want a leader who will bring experience, vision and leadership,” she said. “We want a team player to provide strong leadership to the diverse disciplines within the college.”

Jorgensen said someone will be assigned to an interim role until his position is permanently filled.

Jorgensen came to SDSU in 1974 as a student and has been here since then, serving as the dean of the College of Arts and Science for the past 11 years.

“I always knew if I went to college, I would go to SDSU and that I’d be a Jackrabbit,” Jorgensen said. “This place became home for me and I have been here ever since.”

As the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at SDSU, Jorgensen oversees 15 departments that include 140 full time faculty and over 30 part time faculty members. The departments deliver 33 bachelors degrees, seven masters degrees and two Ph.D. programs. At SDSU, Jorgensen’s current responsibilities include all matters of budgeting, personnel management, fundraising, alumni and community relations, faculty development and enrollment management.”