Remodeled bookstore morphs into retail center

Seth Harris

After a summer remodel, the University Bookstore is now selling SDSU gear in style.

Students arriving on campus will notice a $700,000 remodel to the University Bookstore, a makeover designed to create an improved retail environment for students and shoppers navigating through a sea of merchandise.

Along with the snazzy remodel, students now have access to iPods, Macbooks, iPads and many other Apple products. The SDSU Apple Store, part of the Hobo Tech division of the bookstore, is one of 30 new campus stores opening nationwide.

New flooring, fixtures, a raised ceiling and a new window are also among the changes in the renovated bookstore, giving the store a more modern feel and style.

“We wanted the store to feel more retail,” said Derek Peterson, director of Auxiliary Business Operations at the bookstore. Peterson felt that the former layout of the bookstore had a bland design and said the bookstore was last renovated in 1992.

The bookstore did an “exceedingly good job designing the place,” The Union Director Jennifer Novotny said. Novotny also said she hopes that the remodeled bookstore will help bring in more traffic to The Union.

Michael Hueur, a senior theatre major, said the Apple Store is a positive addition to the bookstore. “It looks a lot nicer and more professional.” Although the bookstore has been through many changes, Hueur said it is still the “same store but a different look.”

Royce McDaniel, Hobo Tech sales manager, said he has a good team and is excited about everything they have to offer, “We have every accessory to make your Apple experience better, or if we don’t have it, we can get it in” at no additional cost.

The eSDSU Laptop Center will be working with the Apple Store to provide warranty support for Macbooks, while Apple will provide support solely for iPods and iPads.

Hobo Tech staff will also be hosting computer training for Mac users ranging from beginner to advanced skill levels. Each training session will require registration prior to the session.

The bookstore has also begun to reward frequent customers with its Blue Zone rewards program. Each customer gets $10 off for every $250 spent and will receive special deals via email.