Miss Homelycoming: may the prettiest man win

Kyrstin Baker

Hairspray will fly as SDSU students gear up for one of the most talked about and free-of-charge Hobo Week traditions: the Miss Homelycoming pageant.

Nov. 2 marks the day when men will put on evening gowns and strut their stuff in heels at 8 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center in one of the most comical drag queen pageants in South Dakota.

One student in particular is very enthusiastic about participating in this tradition.

“I am excited to get up on stage and make people laugh about my poses and dresses,” said Ryan McCann, sophomore pre-pharmacy major. “But I’m nervous about messing up my comedy skit.”

For something as important as Miss Homelycoming, preparation is required.

“I am working on my poses, running through my comedy routine and waxing my legs and chest. Walking in heels took a couple of days to do, but the girls of fourth-floor west wing in Brown are helping me,” McCann said. “We were laughing because I couldn’t walk in them right away.”

McCann will appear in Miss Homelycoming under the alias Candy Dolce.

Last year’s Miss Homelycoming victor, Kameron Nelson, said he had a good time participating in the event.

“Miss Homelycoming is a random, fun thing for student organizations to get involved with,” said Nelson. “I signed up for the spirit points … My favorite thing about it was that the Performing Arts Center was packed with students,” said Nelson. “I love performing, and the adrenaline rush made it a ton of fun. Plus, watching 11 men hopping around in swimsuits and heels backstage is hilarious. As long as you’re secure in yourself, it’s a good time and a lot of fun.”

McCann said people should see the show because of its hilarity.

“It’s hilarious. I couldn’t stop laughing at the other guys doing their routines and going through the motions,” said McCann.

Nelson said the key to winning the coveted Miss Homelycoming title is to go out and have fun.

“You have to be ridiculous and entertaining. You have to have fun, you have to be prepared and you have to have a good fan base.”

Nelson will be returning as Aretha Franklin in the pageant to crown the new Miss Homelycoming.

Miss Homelycoming is still a relatively new addition to the list of Hobo Week activities, and this year’s pageant will only mark the sixth annual event. The first pageant was introduced to campus in 2005.

Contestants will be scored in five categories: talent, evening wear, swimsuit, interview skills and a personal biography submitted before the pageant. The winner will receive the honorary title of Miss Homelycoming, a sash and then get to ride on a float in the Hobo Day parade on Nov. 5.

The University Program Council State-A-Thon coordinator Maggie Aldrich is in charge of this year’s pageant and will be the host for the evening.

“Come check out the manliest men dressed as the girliest girls,” said Aldrich.

For more information about Miss Homelycoming, contact Maggie Aldrich at (605) 688-6173 or stop in the UPC office across from Java City in The Union.