SDSU announces new public service program

School of American and Global Studies launches new program that helps students develop leadership skills
Greta Goede
David Knudson addresses attendees during the Mike Huether Public Service Academy reception on behalf of benefactor, T. Denny Sanford

The School of American and Global Studies announced a new program yesterday that aims to develop leaders and professionals that will improve the lives of individuals, communities and societies.
The Mike Heuther Public Service Academy program offers four foundational courses in government, public administration, ethics and intercultural competence.
The program was created by previous Mayor of Sioux Falls, Mike Huether. The vision for this program started back in 2018 but really started to become a focus in the fall of 2021.
“Today marks the culmination of a shared vision between SDSU the School of American and Global Studies and alumnus and former Sioux Falls Mayor Mike Heuther, to establish a premier undergraduate program dedicated to developing the next generation of leaders committed to public service,” Christine Garst -Santos, director of the School of American and Global Studies said.
The program selects up to 50 scholars annually. Over two years students will undergo leadership development, earn a certificate in public service, engage in public service internships, and participate in the annual Mike Huether PSA Conference, according to a handout from the press conference. Every student in the program also completes an internship and the program supports them with a $2,000 scholarship during the semester.
“This academy… is going to prepare students to become leaders… at every level, locally, nationally, and globally, this academy and these graduates will emerge with the skills and abilities to engage and lead within their communities,” Dennis Hedge, provost and vice president for academic affairs said.
Although the program is housed through the School of American and Global Studies, the program is available to any major on campus.
“Any students… fellow jackrabbits, regardless of your background, regardless of your major, regardless of the profession you’re working towards more,” Huether said. “If you want to be a stronger leader, a more caring student, or steward, and you want to be a more determined teammate and if you want to become inspired so that you can capture your dreams, no matter what obstacles come your way. And guess what obstacles are coming your way. This PSA is for you.”