Women in construction create new club on campus

Women in the Jerome J. Loher College of Engineering wanted a place where they could come together in a male-dominated industry, so they made one themselves.
Emma Roth, a junior concrete industry management major from Sioux Falls, South Dakota, wanted to start a club to bring women together where they could make friends, network and talk to each other about the industry.
Roth started writing the constitution for the Women in Concrete and Construction club (WICC) in October and after over five months of hard work, she saw her idea come to life at the club’s first ever meeting in February.
“I wanted to create a space where girls could come and learn about the industry,” Roth said. “Whether it’s construction or concrete, they can talk about their jobs, talk about different aspects, and talk to other girls who are in the same position they are, even in a male-dominated field.”
The club currently has seven members and is hoping to increase that number.
Roth says she wants girls to come together and see they’re not alone. Some goals she has for the future of WICC are to bring in guest speakers to talk about their experience in the industry and attend any events that may relate to the club.
Olivia Van Zee is a sophomore concrete industry management major from Rock Valley, Iowa, and is the treasurer of WICC.
“I wanted to join because this is a very male-based industry and being a woman it is a little bit harder, but having a group like this and other girls to talk to about it is great,” Van Zee said. “I think it will show women that they can be in a male-based industry and not be scared to start.”
Van Zee says this club will also be a great way for women to make friends within their major who share the same interest.
If you are interested in becoming a member, reach out to Roth, Van Zee, or anyone else in the club.

View Comments (1)