Utes send the Jacks home after 68-54 loss in the first round of March Madness

Evan Patzwald
Ellie Colbeck and Mesa Byom fight off a screen to defend the Utes from scoring. In the contest, Byom had six points, two assists, two blocks and 12 rebounds.

After a strong performance in Summit League play, South Dakota State concluded their 2023-24 season with a loss to the Utah Utes Saturday at the McCarthey Athletic Center in Spokane, Washington.
The Jacks scored the first point off a Paige Meyer free throw, which would be their only lead of the game. Utah answered with a 20-2 run through the remainder of the first quarter. The Utes faltered in the second quarter, as multiple miscues allowed the Jacks to go on a 17-0 scoring run of their own to bring the game within three at halftime.
“I think in that first quarter we were just kind of on our heels,” Tori Nelson said. “I think we just did a good job of settling in, especially offensively, just being more confident in what we were doing.”
The Utes’ scoring drought of nearly nine minutes came to an end in the third quarter as they began to pull away from the Jacks. The lead was cut to as little as eight, but the Utes pulled away, ending the game in a 68-54 defeat for the Jacks.
In her final game, Nelson led the Jacks in scoring, putting up 14 points, and collected four rebounds, a steal and a blocked shot. Brooklyn Meyer scored 13, aided by five free throws, but earned three fouls; Paige Meyer scored 12, enough to push her career total to 1000 points. Mesa Byom, who picked up four fouls, scored six points while blocking two Utes shots, racked a dozen rebounds and made two assists. The Jacks shot 32.7% from the court while going 25% for three, and went 65.5% from the free throw line.
Senior forward Alissa Pili led the Utes in scoring with 26 points, while also racking a blocked shot, seven rebounds, three assists and a career-high three steals which was matched by sophomore guard Matyson Wilke. Junior guard Kennady McQueen put up 17 points, earning six assists and two steals. Junior forward Jenna Johnson scored eight points while picking up two blocks and 10 defensive rebounds.
Foul trouble struck the Utes with four players ending the game at four fouls and two more players with three fouls each. All but three players accumulated multiple fouls on the court. The Utes shot 47.4% from the court while going 29.6% for three and went 75% from the free throw line, despite only attempting eight free throws all game.
“We did some really good things out there, just not enough to get a chance to play another day,” head coach Aaron Johnston said. “Just really proud of our team, we had an exceptional year.” The Jacks end the 2023-24 season with a 27-6 record and move to 5-12 all-time in the NCAA Tournament.