SDSU’s Career Fair aims to prepare students for success

Raena Visniss
An overhead view of the Ness School Management, Economics and Communication Career Fair in Club 71 at Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium in Brookings.

South Dakota State University has numerous resources in place to assist students prepare for their lives and careers after graduation.
Resources include Resume Blitz, the Career Development Center, Advisers, Handshake, and career fairs. Information can be found on the University’s homepage online. Resume Blitz’s, the Career Development Center located just inside the east entrance of the University Student Union, and advisers are all resources that can be a starting point for students to ask questions, prepare and get assistance with resumes, and figure out the directions they want to work in.
Beside advisers, another widely known resource would be the career fairs held throughout both the fall and spring semesters every year. Career fairs are often grouped together with multiple programs and majors to provide to as many students as possible, such as architecture with engineering, and communications with business and economics.
Academic adviser for the school of communication & Journalism Erica Quam, said how students have and continue to benefit from the career fairs.
“It helps students get concrete examples of job opportunities, the opportunity to speak one on one with a professional and ask questions and helps them figure out how to fill their toolbox.,” Quam said.
Quam also explained her role in preparing students for post-graduation.
“One is helping them arrange their skills while at SDSU with minors, internships and involvement,” Quam said. “Two is sharing opportunities beyond SDSU like job opportunities and job fairs.”
A big reason why students can benefit from these events and structures is how the students take advantage of them. Izzy O’Rourke, a junior from Wells, Minnesota said she feels prepared to enter the “real world” in a year. She said she has recieved two of three internships by going to the career fairs on campus.
“Yeah, I feel very prepared,” O’Rourke said. “I have made tons of different connections from past internships, clubs on campus, career fairs, and I feel confident with all of the connections I have made to be able to secure a job.”
Becky Pistulka, assistant director of Employee Engagement, plays a key role in assisting students as they prepare for after graduation. In addition to making career fair preparations and connecting with employers, Pistulka reaches out to students and provides them with job opportunities and connections to employers looking for students in a certain program.
“I am more than welcoming to help a student, they just need to come to me and take advantage of my role for them,” Pistulka says.
Quam, Pistulka, and O’Rourke agree that preparing yourself for after graduation should begin early on in your college career.
“If they dig in ahead of time, they can really prepare themselves and build confidence,” Quam said. “You cannot wait until senior year to prepare for these things, it’s an evolution and a growth experience, it is a safe place.”
The Career Development Center takes in donations of professional attire and then gives them to students. 80 students took advantage of this opportunity this year.