SDSU students keep family ‘tradition’ alive

Submitted
The Stiefvater Family

A family full of Jackrabbits are making their mark in FFA.
Mike Stiefvater graduated from South Dakota State University in 1991, with an undergraduate degree in animal science. His wife, Carie, also graduated from SDSU with an animal science degree in 1996. Their two oldest daughters, Hadley and Ella, are attending SDSU, following in their parents’ footsteps.
It isn’t only SDSU that has impacted the Stiefvater Family. They have all been highly involved in the National FFA Organization and have received awards at the national level.
Hadley Stiefvater, a senior agricultural leadership and animal science double major, has served in numerous officer positions and has competed in a wide variety of events within FFA. She started as a chapter officer, worked her way to the district and then eventually a South Dakota state officer.
Hadley sees herself as a very competitive person and likes to seek personal growth. She wanted to set herself apart from her peers and keep achieving.
“If there is an open opportunity, why not take it?” Hadley said.
This past November, Hadley was recognized at the 96th National FFA Convention for the hard work and dedication that she has put into her supervised agricultural experience (SAE). Hadley’s SAE led her to be a finalist for the American Star in Agriscience.
Her project was a combination of all her science fair projects (eighth to 12 grade), her clinical research internship with Pipestone, and her work as an assistant in the Animal Disease and Research Diagnostic Lab on campus. Her science fair projects focused on animal systems or social systems that answered her questions based on problems she experienced or saw through working at her family’s veterinary clinic.
“FFA gave me opportunities that aren’t available anywhere else,” Hadley said.
It allowed her to develop leadership and soft skills, learn the fine details of the livestock and agriculture industries, make connections in the industry and learn what it means to serve, according to Hadley.
Ella Stiefvater, Hadley’s younger sister and a sophomore agricultural communications major, has also served numerous officer roles in the FFA organization. Most recently, she served as the South Dakota State President from 2022-2023 and joined FFA.
“It was a family tradition,” said Ella.
FFA has helped Ella to expand her network and develop an attitude of giving back.

Ella Stiefvater
Hadley Stiefvater (Submitted)

With Ella being only 20 months younger than Hadley, the two sisters have a shared love for all things agriculture and FFA.
“We got to feed off each other’s energy in FFA, push each other, and do activities and be on teams together,” Hadley said. “We pushed each other to be our best and to find things that were different, but also unique to us in FFA.”
Both sisters looked to their state officer teammates and advisors, Trace Chase and Terry Rieckman, as having a large impact on their experience, but most importantly they were thankful for their parents.
Their mother, Carie, coached several of their Leadership Development Events (LDEs) and Career Development Events (CDEs).
Mike, their father, was one of their biggest supporters as well. He and his wife find it fun and rewarding to have their children involved in FFA.
“He always showed up and was present,” Ella said. “Even though he didn’t have to be.”
Growing up as a member of the Salem High FFA Chapter, Mike saw the impact the organization had on him and his life, and he wanted to provide the same opportunity for his children and others in the area.
Mike sees the value that FFA brings to its members of real-life scenarios through activities with the chapter, school, community and family for personal development no matter their background, financial standing, or physical ability.
“There really is something for everyone and the chance to belong to an organization where you can wear the blue jacket and know you are one with thousands of others,” Mike said. “You don’t have to be rich, tall, fast, super intelligent, beautiful, etc. and you are on the team ‘to practice brotherhood, honor agricultural opportunities and responsibilities, and develop those qualities of leadership which an FFA member should possess.’”
His current involvement in the FFA Organization includes supporting his children’s FFA endeavors and local and state financial support through his business, the Salem Veterinary Service.
Mike and Carie’s support for FFA was recognized at this year’s National Convention, where they received the Honorary American Degree. The couple was honored to receive the award.
“I can’t think of another activity where you get the chance to finish your career with that type of national recognition, hang up your jacket and start the next stage with the same organization by giving back with all the skills and knowledge you obtained — pay it forward,” Mike said. “It’s not something to hang on your wall but recognition that you’ve made it this far and you are valued to continue the purpose of the organization which is much bigger than you.”
The impact that FFA has had on the family goes well beyond their awards and recognition.
Hadley learned that ‘it’s not what you know, it’s who you know.’
She believes that this concept has helped her achieve many of her dreams, goals and awards through the industry and community connections she has made through FFA.
Ella discovered that “leadership is influence” through her many officer positions. It took many years of leading and learning for Ella to realize that all the people in her life that she considered leaders, her parents, coaches and advisors, were because they had an influence on her and who she is.
What Mike values most are people and the connections he and his family have made through FFA at the local, state and national levels. He finds it inspiring to see people set a goal and work hard to achieve it.
“There are so many amazing people from all over our country working hard every day to achieve the common purpose of FFA,” Mike said. “Having the opportunity to attend the National FFA Convention numerous times reminds me that we are small fish in a big pond, but all the fish are important no matter the size and they all have a story to tell.”
The Stiefvater family hopes that they can leave an impact on others through FFA as many have before them.
“It takes just one teacher, fellow student or sometimes a chance meeting at a contest that stimulates young people to find their purpose and feed their dream to become what God has planned for them,” Mike said.