What the Dacotah Bank Center rebrand means for the Brookings community

Cody Johnson performing at the Dacotah Bank Center Saturday, Sept. 10, 2022. (Dacotah Bank Center/Ashley Biggar)

The Swiftel Center on Brooking’s east side was renamed the Dacotah Bank Center earlier this year. This occurred after a 10-year contract was negotiated for $150,000 a year, which is $100,000 more than their previous contract with Swiftel.

The Dacotah Bank Center is a 30,000 square foot arena that was opened in 2001. Since then, it has hosted over 2 million attendees and 4,357 events.

One aspect of this deal may include a rise in performances happening at the center. Michael Logan, the general manager, said that the Dacotah Bank Center should see an increase of people reaching out to them.

“As soon as it was made public, I reached out to all of our agents and promoters,” Logan said, “It was a great opportunity to reintroduce myself to these people.”

This means that Brookings might be more visible based on the name change alone. Another thing people can expect from the deal is greater variety in the acts that are booked. Logan said, while there will still be standard music performances, like the Dropkick Murphys coming Oct. 13, they also have plans for rodeos, cattle shows, monster truck shows and the Harlem Globetrotters.

According to Paul Briseno, Brookings City Manager, they have over 300 event days a year, which means the staff is working around the clock for the community.

The deal might also help improve other aspects of life here in Brookings. Briseno said the funds saved from this endeavor will be utilized for economic development and quality-of-life efforts.

“The city is constantly looking to save or maximize revenue sources,” Briseno said. “Specifically, these naming rights will assist in reducing the need for subsidy to the Facility and allow additional future investments.”

Some of the finer details about the deal are found in a city council agenda memo and the event center agreement. Andrew Rasmussen, a Brookings city council member, said one of the interesting details will give Dacotah Bank exclusive advertising rights in their business category. This would include banking, mortgage and trust, wealth management and financial services. The contract also says that any media outlet that works with them must use the proper name.

View Comments (1)