Jacks dropped in Boise tourney

SDSU ends non conference with three losses
Faith Saewert serves to the opponent at the Ole Miss Invitational in Oxford, Miss. (GoJacks.com/Reed Jones)

The South Dakota State volleyball team ended their non-conference play by losing all three of their games in the Boise State Classic, getting swept in two of the three matches. 

Day one of the tournament didn’t go well for the Jacks as they fell short to the University of Montana Grizzlies. SDSU lost their first two sets, with the second set ending in a closer fashion. State would then bring the match score to 1-2 after taking the third set before Montana pulled away in the four set, taking the match 3-1. 

Sylvie Zgonc put up 17 kills, a match-high 47 attacks, and scored 19.5 points. Masa Scheierman scored 12.5 points and had 12 kills. Raegen Reilly scored a match-high three aces. 

On Sept. 15, the Jackrabbits played against tournament host Boise State, in which they were swept. To add to their loss, South Dakota State didn’t hold a lead at all throughout the entirety of match two. 

Similar to match one, Zgonc led the Jackrabbits in kills with 12. The freshman also had 13 points and scored two aces. Katie Van Egdom put up 29 attacks in the match. 

For the third and final match of the tournament, the Jackrabbits played Loyola Marymount, a private school based in Los Angeles, CA. Though South Dakota State had leads in both the first and third sets, the LMU Lions would prove to be victorious, sweeping the Jackrabbits, the second time in three matches. 

Scheierman had a match-high eight kills while Zgonc scored a team-high nine points and had two aces. 

Volleyball head coach Dan Georgalas is looking forward to the start of conference play. “We don’t get to put a tally in the win column, but it’s not because we’re not doing good things,” said Georgalas. “I think we’re all kind of excited to put a bow on non-conference, put it behind us, and kind of look through the windshield from now on.” 

The three losses drop the Jackrabbits to a 2-10 record on the season, extending their losing streak to five games. To start Summit League play, the South Dakota State Jackrabbits will hit the road going north for a match against the University of St. Thomas Tommies on Thursday, Sept. 21 at 7