President Dunn Discusses Cyberattack, SA Finance Chair Sworn in

The Students’ Association had their first meeting Monday night to start off the 2023-24 school year.

The meeting began with President Barry Dunn addressing the senate about a cyber-attack that happened last Thursday. The attack happened over night and was the reason students were having problems with D2L. 

“One of the stories we heard this morning, the problems students were having last Friday and over the weekend were related that we didn’t pay our D2L bill, that’s not what happened, we pay our bills,” Dunn said. “We got attacked in a very serious cyber-attack… our team handled it really well but I can’t tell you how serious it is.”

The attack was similar to the cyber-attack that happened to Montana State University April 20, 2023, according to Dunn. 

The university hired a national cyber security firm after the attack and the attack is currently under investigation. Dunn said to his knowledge student information did not get accessed but nothing can be confirmed until the investigation is complete.

“We got some help on board Saturday morning from a national firm, cyber security firm and it’s in good hands,” Dunn said.

Dunn also talked about the end of the General Activity Fee strategic plan that started in 2018 that is wrapping up this year. Which means a new strategic GAF plan called,  “Pathway to Premier” will be starting next year and will continue until 2030.

Dunn discussed the new renovations that came to campus. The grand opening of Lincoln Hall is Tuesday, Sept. 12 and Ag Hall was remodeled. There were renovations made over summer to make the campus more accessible.

“100 doors in the faculty offices are wider than were last spring so we remodeled both of those buildings, major buildings on campus, are now fully accessible in terms of restroom and mothers rooms and doorways and that’s important for you to know about,” Dunn said.

Steve Erpenbach, president of the SDSU Foundation spoke at the meeting about the Bold and Blue campaign that has now reached 28,000 new donors. The goal for the campaign is to reach $500 million.

“We are well on our way, hoping yet this fall that we’ll probably hit the 500-million-dollar goal but we’re going to continue until April of 2024,” Erpenbach said.

Of what has been raised so far, about $160 million is dedicated to scholarships, Erpenbach said.

Government Affairs Chair, Michael Garofalo talked about mental health resources being the number one priority when lobbying in Pierre this coming school year.

Blake Pulse, chair of the GAF Strategic Plan Steering Committee spoke to SA about the plan for “Pathway to Premier.” Senators will leave five focus groups:

• Mental Health
  • Wellness Center
  • Transportation
  • Student life
  • History of GAF

President Trinity Peterson swore in Katie Neuhaus as finance chair after previously elected finance chair Hayden Benz was selected to serve as vice president.

There are currently two Senators at Large positions still open on the senate.