Making an IMPACT: Dance show allows creative outlet for students

catherine.hill

Beats are flying, feet are moving and music is blaring. Sounds like any good club scene, right? Wrong. This is IMPACT. In its third year, the dance showcase, put on by the SDSU Dance Club, has gained a great amount of momentum in a short amount of time.

14 acts ranging from contemporary to hip-hop to jazz will storm the stage in the Performing Arts Center on Friday, March 16 at 7:30 p.m. Admission is free for SDSU students and $5 for non-students. The theme for this year is based off of LMFAO’s “Party Rock Anthem”.

“We have grown immensely as an organization over the past year and this event is our way of showing off everything we have learned and accomplished,” said Dance Club President Abbie Johnson.

The club is a non-commitment organization, meaning attendees aren’t bound by the club. They come when they are available. It has also organized a number of dances including a “Jungle Dance” in the Fall Semester. The club was fully founded three years ago. It teaches different styles of dancing from hip-hop to salsa to clogging.

“I am [pursuing a] dance minor on campus and both the minor and the Dance Club helps me get out my need for dance,” said Kayla Struck, Dance Club secretary and 17-year dancer.

One of the original founders and current vice president, Kaitlyn Hebb, feels confident that even after her departure from SDSU, the club will still stay a part of the university.

“The show this year is very emotional for me because this is the last year I will be with this club,” she said. “Being the only original founder left, it is definitely hard to watch something you started be handed off to somebody else. I have total faith that this club will not only stay a part of SDSU, but will become something even bigger in years to come.”

Hebb has been involved in dance for a majority of her life and it has a great influence on her. She started ballet at six years old and continued with studio dance through high school. She performed with competition teams from 4th through 11th grade. She has been to the national level numerous times with her teams and has danced to a great number of different styles.

“I feel so blessed to have been given a body and soul to express myself through dancing. It is such a gift that allows me to pour out my feelings and keep in shape, too,” Hebb said.

Three years ago, Hebb felt like something was missing when she came to SDSU. She still desired an outlet to dance and express herself. From this desire, came the Dance Club.

“Dance is something everybody can feel. There is a part of each person that is craving to let go in some way [and] convey their emotions without the spoken word,” she said. “Therefore, I cannot explain in words how dancing makes me feel, you’ll just have to come see it to find out.”