Greek Village in early building stages

Noah Brown

Greek Village is beginning to take shape just southeast of campus. Alpha Xi Delta moved into its house this fall to join Farmhouse and Alpha Gamma Rho as the pioneering members of the future Greek neighborhood.

“Every lot out there so far is spoken for, a chapter has plans for it, and once every chapter has a chance to build out there, it will create a really great Greek community,” said Addie Borah, Greek Life adviser.

Marysz Rames, vice president for Student Affairs, said that in the next five years there could be four new chapters with houses in Greek Village. Sigma Phi Epsilon, Ceres, Chi Omega and Sigma Alpha Epsilon are the chapters that have claimed plots of land in Greek Village. Sigma Alpha Epsilon is hoping to break ground on its new house this fall.

“We want it to be one big cohesive community,” Borah said. “It will also be another great entryway into campus.”

Greek Village is situated near McCrory Gardens on 20th Street. The location is adjacent to Village Square shopping center and some apartments that mainly house students.

Many schools similar in size to SDSU have Greek neighborhoods. USD in particular is known for the size of its Greek population. The size of SDSU’s Greek community currently sits a bit below average, but it may be on the verge of expanding.

“I think with Greek Village coming about, we will see a huge burst in the Greek community,” Borah said.

Until that time, the ten Greek organizations on campus continue to thrive as a tight-knit community, even fostering healthy rivalries. A pink flamingo went missing from the new Alpha Xi Delta house recently and created somewhat of a ‘rift’ within the Greek social network.

Not every Greek chapter on campus will end up in the village. Borah said that while many chapters have long-term plans to end up in the village, many others are happy with their current living situations. Building a new house is not a minor undertaking, after all – Alpha Xi Delta’s new house cost upwards of $1.3 million.

“I feel so blessed to be a part of this chapter,” said Chelsea Johnson, president of Alpha Xi Delta. “We couldn’t have done this without all of the support from our alumnae.”

Alpha Xi Delta went from two separate residences that housed ten students total to an eight-bedroom mansion in Greek Village. Johnson said that the change in scenery inspired a huge boost in morale.“I am honestly surprised that in a house of 16 girls, we have gotten along this well,” she said.