Family-owned shop has little bit of everything

By PAT BOWDEN Reporter

The Depot – a pub, convenience store, casino and fuel stop located at 921 20th Street – is a neighborhood destination that can accommodate a variety of gatherings; but maybe most importantly, their prices aim to fit into a college student budget.

“[The Depot is] cozy, friendly, [you can] meet your neighbor, meet your friends, get together to have a drink and watch a game,” said The Depot owner and manager Kathy McClemans. “We’re a smaller more neighborhood pub setting.”

The Depot opened in June 2013, and since then has added a number of additions to the central pub.

“We try to give them [customers] what they want, [we’re] trying to be a convenience to everybody,” McClemans said.

One employee from The Depot and an SDSU graduate and former business economics major, Andrew Royer, thinks that there’s a little something for everybody where he works.

“My friend worked there in the past, [and I knew] it was a small family business, which is what a big part of what South Dakota is,” Royer said. “It’s like a quieter Cubby’s: beers on tap and a lot of TVs … It’s a little more peaceful than other restaurants around town, you get to meet the owners directly. The McClemans are a big part of its success.”

The Depot features morning meals like breakfast sandwiches all the way to whatever else a student’s appetite might include.

“I would say we’re very comparable to getting your food to go at McDonalds, [we have everything] from a hot dog to a breakfast sandwich to burgers, wings and pizza,” McClemans said. “We’re going to compete with anybody in town.”

One SDSU student hopes that more students get over to The Depot and venture further into the Brookings community.

“Not only would I recommend it to a friend but also I would want to go there with them, because it’s very enjoyable and fun,”  senior human development family studies and pre occupational therapy major Nathan Langston said. “They have deals every day of the week for all of their goods, and the food there is really good. You can get a large pizza there for $10.”