Rivalries don’t count in graduate school

Amanda Siefken Columnist

So as a senior, everyone likes to ask what my next step is going to be. This is no longer a daunting question, as I know the answer is law school. But the following question is always “Oh, where do you want to go?” To that, at this point I can honestly say that I’m not sure. What I am sure about however, is my list of top three programs, and yes the University of South Dakota is on that list.

Here’s the thing, are you reading carefully? There is a HUGE difference between the USD undergraduate programs and the USD Law School. I actually just toured the law school in Vermillion, and I was more than impressed. I will say that I toured the USD campus as a senior in high school and I knew right away that USD was not the school for me. I did not feel comfortable or welcomed at all on campus. Touring South Dakota State University in high school, I loved it. I felt at home and that this was clearly the school for me.

Graduate programs are a different level and a different environment completely than the undergraduate experience.

The law school is its own building, and there is literally no interaction with undergraduates unless you go next door to the student center, which you don’t have to do if you don’t want to. I was amazed at the separation, not only at USD, but at a majority of the other law schools in the country.

I will forever bleed blue and yellow, no matter where I choose to go this fall for my graduate work, but I will also be proud of the program I am a part of. If I choose Boulder, than I will be proud to go to that school for the program, but I will still be a Jackrabbit. If I choose to go to Vermillion, than I will be proud that I go to that law school, but I will not be a Coyote.   Rivalries don’t matter to me when it comes to law schools. I am not going to a school to be a Coyote or to be a Buffalo, but I am going for the professional education. The ties you make as an undergraduate, even in the mascot world, don’t go away when you graduate. I will forever be a Jackrabbit, no matter what school I choose, and no matter what rivalries exist in this region of the country.

Undergraduate rivalries are important because it brings out school spirit and school pride; however, that need of school spirit goes away just like the excitement of being 21 does. Eventually you realize that you love your school, and the other schools just don’t matter.

Be proud of where you go to school, but don’t let rivalries hold you back from reaching your potential!

Amanda is a political science major and can be reached at 

[email protected]