SA prepares for new Senate body, Tier 2 budget approval

%C2%A0%C2%A0

By EMILY De WAARD News Editor

Senators were teary-eyed at Monday night’s Students’ Association meeting as the year comes to a close and they planned for next week’s final meeting with the current body.

President Ally Helms reported the South Dakota Board of Regents (SDBOR) approved a 2.9 percent tuition increase. 

Also, SDBOR chose to implement university administration’s proposal of shifting the bond and utility (B&U) fee over four years to be entirely added on to the General Activity Fee (GAF) paid by all students, Helms reported. SDBOR’s decision rejected SA’s proposal of a mixed-fee method for the B&U fee, dividing it between its current meal plan costs and GAF costs.

SA gave first readings of two resolutions. Resolutions 16-18-R requests Faculty Senate consider forming a scholarship fund based on royalties earned by the sale of books written by SDSU faculty and sold as required text to students. 16-18-R was left for unfinished business in next week’s meeting.

Resolution 16-19-R was unanimously approved, which proclaims April 7 as a day to honor Michael Reger, who devoted a 30-year career to SDSU.

During open forum, chemistry professor Matt Miller announced the need for volunteers for ChemEd 2017, an international, five-day chemistry conference hosted by South Dakota State this summer.

SA wrapped up their meeting with nominations for Senator of the Year. Sens. Semehar Ghebrekidan, Robert McLean and Alex Farber were nominated. SA advisers collected senator votes and the Senator of the Year will be announced next week. 

President Helms, Finance Chair Nick Lorang and Programming and Public Relations Chair Kirby Krogstad did not vote, but advisers announced there was a tie, so these members will vote to break a tie.

Next week’s agenda will be full with approving Tier 2 budgets, swearing in new senators and an open forum from representatives for The Union space study.

The next SA meeting will be at 7 p.m. April 10 in the Lewis and Clark room of The Union.