DAKOTA MARKER

No.1 Jacks Return Home for Rivalry game Against No.10 Bison
Safety+Tucker+Large+and+the+Jackrabbit+defense+celebrate+after+forcing+a+turnover+against+the+Coyotes+Saturday+at+the+Dakota+Dome+in+Vermillion.+Large+had+4+total+tackles+in+the+win+and+an+interception.+
Joclyn Haven
Safety Tucker Large and the Jackrabbit defense celebrate after forcing a turnover against the Coyotes Saturday at the Dakota Dome in Vermillion. Large had 4 total tackles in the win and an interception.

To many, a 75-pound quartzite replica of a boarder marker isn’t considered valuable, but to NDSU and SDSU, it’s one of the most important things they can get their hands on.

The Dakota Marker game has been one of the most anticipated games each season since SDSU and NDSU first played in 1903. In those 114 games, NDSU holds the winning record of 63-46-5.

Though recently, South Dakota State has shown it’s their time now. In their last four games, the Jackrabbits have beaten the Bison once in Brookings, South Dakota (2021), twice in Fargo, North Dakota (2020 and 2022) and on the biggest stage in the FCS: the National Championship (2023).

The Jacks are currently one win away from tying their longest winning streak against one of their biggest rivals (1910-11-13-15-17).

These two Missouri Valley Football Conference power houses haven’t shared the gridiron since Jan. 8 when SDSU beat NDSU 45-21 in the FCS National Championship.

Currently, the 8-0 Jacks are ranked No.1 in the FCS with the 6-2 Bison sitting at No. 10. NDSU spent four weeks ranked No. 2 before losing to USD in week four and UND in week six, two teams the Jacks have already beaten this season.

BISON

You can’t speak FCS football without bringing up NDSU. Despite being a team who has been considered the best, they now come in as the underdog against the top ranked Jackrabbits.

Though underdogs, head coach for South Dakota State isn’t taking this game lightly.

“We are well aware who is coming to town, and the talent that is on this football team,” said coach Jimmy Rogers. “13 preseason all-conference players and led by Cam Miller who is right now playing his best football of his career.”

Senior quarterback Miller still sits at the helm of the No. 6 ranked offense in the nation. Though a quarterback, Miller leads the team in rushing with 388 yards on the ground and nine touchdowns. TaMerik Williams (387 yards), Barika Kpeenu (306 yards) and backup quarterback Cole Payton (300 yards) all have at least 300 rushing yards this season.

Miller has excelled in the air just as he has down on the ground, passing for 1,411 yards on a 76.1% completion percentage which currently leads the FCS. The Iowa native also has ten total touchdown passes on the season.

Zach Mathis took over as the go-to Bison receiver after the departure of Christan Watson to the Green Bay Packers at the end of the 2021 season and has shown great strides since then. In 2022, Mathis finished the year with 520 receiving yards. In eight weeks this season, Mathis has three scores and 507 receiving yards (45th most in the nation).

Wide receiver Eli Green has been a reliable second option for NDSU. The 5’11 sophomore has put up a total of 328 yards in the air this season though he hasn’t seen green, one of eight targeted players who hasn’t scored a touchdown this season for the Bison.

Tight end Joe Stoffel has been Miller’s redzone guy in this impressive passing attack. Stoffel currently leads the Bison in touchdown receptions with five while also racking up 244 receiving yards.

In eight total games, the Bison have allowed 2,289 yards (286.1 yards per game) and 18 opponent touchdowns. This powerful NDSU defense led by Logan Kopp is ranked 10th in total defense in the FCS.

Kopp, a sophomore from Missouri currently leads the team in tackles this season with 51 total and tackles for loss with five for a total loss of 23 yards. The linebacker also has two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, three interceptions, 2.5 sacks and a quarterback hurry.

Safety Cole Wisniewski leads the team in picks this season, with four and bringing them back for 129 yards while also recording 33 tackles and a forced fumble. Defensive monster Dylan Hendricks has put up three sacks this season, in which he leads the category, 4.5 tackles for loss and 20 tackles. Marcus Sheppard and Luke Weerts join Hendricks this season with 20 total tackles.

JACKRABBITS

Now returning home after back-to-back away games, the No. 1 ranked South Dakota State Jackrabbits are set to take on yet another rival in North Dakota State. The Jacks swept the floor with their in-state rival USD, a team the Bison lost to earlier this season 24-19.

The No. 9 ranked offense in the FCS is led by a guy who has yet to lose to NDSU, Mark Gronowski. This season, Gronowski has been the most efficient quarterback in the nation, passing for 1,528 yards, 16 touchdowns, three interceptions and completing 112 of his 162 total passes for a passing efficiency rating of 177.25 with North Dakota State’s Miller at 168.88.

It isn’t a surprise Gronowski has been so productive when looking at his receivers. 6th year senior Jaxon Janke has been a threat to any corner who deems themselves worthy to cover him. So far this season, Jaxon Janke has pulled in 29 receptions, 458 yards and three touchdowns, averaging nearly 60 yards per game.

His identical twin Jadon Janke has been an offensive weapon this season despite the fact he missed two games due to an injury. Jadon Janke currently has 235 yards and 17 receptions on 17 catches. Freshman Griffin Wilde has been a great addition to the South Dakota State passing attack this season. In his first year, Wilde has caught four touchdowns, in which he leads the receivers in, racked up 267 yards (20.54 yards per reception) on 13 catches.

Joining the triple threat receivers is tight end Zach Heins. The Sioux Falls, South Dakota native has four touchdowns on 17 receptions for a total of 223 yards.

Leading the 6th ranked rushing offense in the nation is senior tailback Isaiah Davis. In just eight games, Davis has managed to put up 754 rushing yards (15th in the nation) and eight touchdowns on 109 carries. The Missouri native also has racked up 145 yards and a score in the passing attack.

The Johnson duo of Amar Johnson and Angel Johnson has proved this Jackrabbit offense has talent deep in their depth chart. With 76 carries, Amar Johnson has put up 510 yards and three touchdowns with Angel Johnson putting up 284 yards and four scores on 30 rushes. Gronowski joins the rushing leaders for the Jacks with 180 of his own along with six touchdowns.

“I’m proud of Angel Johnson because he has come a long way,” said Rogers in his weekly press conference. “He’s been green to college football, I mean green. He has always been the fastest and he’s still probably, arguably the fastest guy on our football team but he keeps getting better as a true running back.”

SDSU’s stellar defense has been putting offenses in the turf this season. As the No. 1 ranked defense in the nation, the Jacks have allowed 10 touchdowns and 257 yards per game, the lowest in the FCS. Linebackers Jason Freeman, Saiveon Williamson and Isaiah Stalbird lead the team in tackles. Freeman and Williamson lead the team in totals with 48 each while Stalbird follows closely with 45.

With an interception against USD Tucker Large now leads the team in picks with two while six other Jackrabbits have one of their own.

Defensive end Cade Terveer has been a wrecking ball to offensive lineman, recording six tackles for loss and five sacks, in which he leads both stats for the Jacks.