Coffee house events return to Pierson Hall’s Hobo Hangout

Ally Weber
Hobo Hangout in the basement of Pierson Hall.

Since 2017, Brian Dominguez, assistant director for student leadership and learning, collaborates with the Residence Hall Association, the Residence Hall Programming Committee and the community assistants of Pierson Hall to put on free events for all South Dakota State University students to attend.

“Coffee Houses are done three times a year since 2017,” Dominquez said. “First in September with a musician, then in December with a winter wonderland. In the spring semester, we have a comedy coffee house in March, and we may do a dark roast comedy, roasting the audience, at the end of the school year.” 

Since Pierson Hall was being renovated last school year, the Coffee House events had come to a halt. But now they are back and better than ever.

“In the past, we had to makeshift the Hobo Hangout into a place for entertainment,” Dominguez said. “We would bring in sound systems and lights, but now the Hobo Hangout has been remodeled with sound systems and lights.”

On Wednesday Sept. 27, they had the grand reopening of Coffee House events with $500 worth of prizes and musician, Kyle Knutson to provide entertainment. 

Kyle Knutson is a former SDSU student and resident of Pierson Hall. This also isn’t his first time performing in the Hobo Hangout. “It’s neat to see Pierson Hall renovated,” Knutson said. “It makes me feel dated to come back and see all the new amenities, but it’s very nostalgic.”

Knutson graduated from SDSU in 2009 with a degree in music merchandising. He then went on to Nashville to continue chasing a career in music. Today, Knutson plays what he calls “front porch blues” for private events and he used to play in bars and high-end restaurants in Sioux Falls before the COVID-19 pandemic.  

Not only does Knutson perform for various events, but he also does construction and some farming. “I’ve got irons in several fires,” Knutson said. “I’m a jack of all trades, master of some.” 

The grand reopening of Coffee House events was a success. “This was very entertaining and had good music and food,” said Linsey Schmoll, an attendee of the event. “The prizes are what drew me to this event.”

“The Hobo Hangout is a big and versatile space that everyone can utilize,” said Ellary Jacoby, a community assistant in Pierson Hall. “It’s a positive thing for Pierson and the students. Having events down here helps bring students together and helps them realize they can utilize the space.” 

“These events are good for students to come and relax,” says Dominguez. “The Hobo Hangout not only allows for bigger events but creates another space for club meetings and for the students to have a bigger space for fun.”