New cookie store open late

Members+of+the+softball+team%2C+Chiara+Bassi%2C+Allison+Yoder+and+Shannon+Lacey+recieved+%E2%80%9CSouth+Doughkota%E2%80%9D+t-shirts+at+the+Jan.+14+grand+opening+of+Insomnia+Cookies.++

Jordan Rusche

Members of the softball team, Chiara Bassi, Allison Yoder and Shannon Lacey recieved “South Doughkota” t-shirts at the Jan. 14 grand opening of Insomnia Cookies.

Gracie Terrall, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Last Saturday, the new late-night cookie store, Insomnia Cookies, had its grand opening event where students and Brookings residents packed into the Village Square store in their pajamas to try the new cookies, brownies, blondies and brookies that the shop has to offer.

“It’s been a great couple of weeks for Insomnia’s new Brookings store, and we had an amazing turnout at our all-day grand opening and late-night PJ Party,” an Insomnia Cookies spokesperson said. “We are excited to welcome more Insomniacs into our store as we continue to satisfy the sweets cravings of Brookings cookie lovers.”

Insomnia Cookies is located at 1809 6th St. in the Village Square and is open 11 a.m. – 1 a.m. Sunday through Wednesday and 11 a.m. – 3 .a.m. Thursday through Saturday.

For some students, like Brady Umberger, the late-night aspect is what drew her to Insomnia Cookies.

“I love that it’s open late,” the junior English major said. “It works way better with school.”

Insomnia Cookies offers in store pickup, delivery and DoorDash and does not accept cash.  The Brookings location is the first to open in South Dakota and the 232nd store nationwide.

“It’s close to campus and being in a college town, it will definitely get a lot of business at night and on weekends,” Regan Black, a sophomore nursing student said. “I am definitely planning to visit again. I may have to be careful before I get addicted.”

During the event, employees were handing out “South Doughkota ‘’ t-shirts, as well as coozies, shot glasses, socks, chapstick, car fresheners and gift cards during the late night party.

“The new Brookings store brings a warm and deliciously indulgent offering to the lively college town, allowing hungry SDSU students and community members to bring their dessert dreams to life and create connections over warm cookies,” the spokesperson said.