Pride member to perform in fourth Macy’s Thanksgiving parade

Gracie Terrall

Will Kessler, a junior trombone player in the Pride of the Dakotas, will be performing in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade for the fourth time this year after previously participating in the Macy’s Great American Marching Band.

Jordan Rusche, Co-Editor-in-Chief

When the Pride of the Dakotas found out that they would be marching in the 2022 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, there was one band member who knew the excitement better than anybody.

That’s because William Kessler, a junior trombone player, has already performed in the Macy’s parade three times, making this year his fourth trip to New York City for the event.

Kessler, who is from Pierre, South Dakota, originally attended the parade his sophomore through senior year of high school when he was part of the Macy’s Great American Marching Band (MGAMB). The band is composed of high school students representing every state.

“We had just finished up our marching season, and my band director approached me and a couple other of my classmates and asked if we’d be interested in the opportunity to march some more,” Kessler said.

He enjoyed his first visit so much that he returned to perform in the MGAMB two more times before graduating from T.F. Riggs High School. He also said he wanted to continue the friendships he made with the other performers in the band his first year.

After coming to South Dakota State University, Kessler joined the Pride so he could continue his music experience.

“I knew a college-level marching band would be a big step up from my high school experience, and even though it was a COVID year, it did not disappoint,” he said. “I really enjoyed it the last couple years.”

Though going to the Macy’s parade isn’t new to Kessler like it is for the other Pride members, Kessler said he is excited to experience New York with his bandmates.

“Even though I have already been there three times, I’m very excited to be in a band with a bunch of people that I know and a lot of really good friends,” he said.

This year’s performance will also be much less stressful, as the Pride has had over a year to prepare for the parade Thursday. 

“We [MGAMB performers] all came in knowing no drill, and then on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday leading up to the parade, we put together a show, added the music, and …  had a fully-developed 90-second show in the span of three days,” Kessler said.

Kevin Kessler, no relation, director of athletic bands for SDSU, said Will adds a lot to the Pride of the Dakotas.

“Will is a really enthusiastic member,” he said. “He’s a very good player. … I’m sure he’s been kind of a guide to a lot of folks because he’s been in the city so many times now.”

Another trombone player, senior pharmacy major Jessica Begeman, said he also serves as a leader for their section when needed.

“Obviously, he’s been here for the past three years, so he knows how our marching band works, and I think when our section leaders are feeling a little overwhelmed, he is there to help and direct people,” she said. “If he weren’t graduating early, I think he would definitely be a section leader.”

Kessler will graduate this May with a degree in political science and a minor in legal studies. He will be going to law school next fall.

“USD is my main contender, but I would like to look at other colleges as well,” he said.

As for this trip to New York City, he said he is most excited to get to see the attractions he didn’t get to visit the last few times he was in the city.

“With the Macy’s Great American Marching Band, there’s basically a bunch of strangers together for the first time, taking over New York, so we had very strict rules,” he said. “But with this trip, I’m really hoping to do things with my friends that I wasn’t able to do the previous trip.”