Summit League honors announced

Scheierman wins Player of the Year, Selland named to First Team

Joclyn Haven

Baylor Scheierman was named the Summit League Player of the Year Thursday. Scheierman was third in league play in points, averaging 18.2 per game. He led the team in rebounding and assists as well.

Cooper Kanthak, Sports Reporter

The Summit League announced its regular season awards Thursday and both the SDSU men’s and women’s basketball teams received high honors.

Men’s Basketball:

The men’s basketball team had five members of the team receive Summit League honors.

Baylor Scheierman was named Summit League Player of the Year. Scheierman is the fourth Jackrabbit to earn Player of the Year honors in the last 10 seasons. Six of the last 10 Player of the Year awards have come from SDSU. Mike Daum won it three times, while Nate Wolters, Douglas Wilson and now Scheierman have each won it once.

Scheierman is the only player in Division I men’s basketball to lead his league in both rebounds and assists. He was third in the league in scoring, averaging 18.2 points per game while his 7.7 rebounds and 5.2 assists lead the league. He shot 55.4 percent from the field and had 1.4 steals per game. He was also named to the first-team all-league team as well.

Head coach Eric Henderson was named Coach of the Year. This is his second time winning the award (2020). He helped lead the Jacks to an undefeated conference record going 18-0 and going 27-4 overall.

Douglas Wilson joined Scheierman on the all-Summit League first team. He averaged 17.4 points per game in conference play while shooting 60.7 percent from the field, leading the league. Wilson also earned all-defensive team honors.

Luke Appel took home Sixth Man of the Year after shooting 62.5 percent and averaging 11.1 points per game during conference games. He was the game-high scoring leader in a Summit League game, scoring 41 points as SDSU defeated Oral Roberts 106-102 last week.

Freshman guard Zeke Mayo was named to the all-newcomer team. He was the only freshman on the five-man team. He averaged 10.6 points per game and 2.1 assists in conference play.

The Jackrabbits are the No. 1 seed in the Summit League Tournament, and they will face off against Omaha Saturday at 6 p.m. in the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center in Sioux Falls.

Women’s Basketball:

The women’s team had a total of six members receive awards, starting off with head coach Aaron Johnston winning Coach of the Year for the Summit League.

This is Johnston’s sixth time winning this honor. He led the Jackrabbits to a 17-1 conference record while going 21-8 overall. SDSU is on a 13-game winning streak heading into the Summit League tournament.

Myah Selland was named to the Summit League first team. This is her second time receiving this honor and fourth postseason honor together. Selland averaged 14.2 points per game in conference games while shooting 53% from the field and 61% from 3-point range.

Paige Meyer earned All-Summit second team and all-newcomer team after leading SDSU in assists (4.5) and steals (1.4). She also averaged 10.8 points per game while shooting 62% from the field.

Paiton Burckhard picked up her fourth career postseason honor as she was named an honorable mention while leading the Jacks in rebounding with 5.8 rebounds per game to go along with 11.2 points per game.

Senior Tylee Irwin was named to the league’s all-defensive team. She averaged 9.2 points, 2.7 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 1.3 steals in conference games for the Jacks. She was often assigned the opposing team’s best player and helped SDSU hold opponents under 38% field goal shooting.

Tori Nelson was named honorable mention All-Summit League. She averaged 11.5 points per game while shooting 63% from the field.

The Jackrabbits are the No. 1 seed in the Summit League Tournament and will face off against Denver in the first round Saturday at 12:30 at the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center in Sioux Falls.